Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, my daughter is getting married and I have prepared this speech for the reception. Please help improving it. Thanks.

FATHER OF BRIDE SPEECH

To all lovely relatives on both sides, family friends, and friends of Angela and Luke.

It is a great pleasure to have you here this morning at home and here this evening . I would like to thank you for your presence. I know it means a lot to Angela and Luke for all of you here to share their special day.

We would also like to thank all those who have helped with this wedding, big and small. Angela and Luke have put in a lot of effort into organizing this special day, and we as parents put in our bit, with great helps from close relatives. Your willingness show your love to the new couple, and it is much appreciated.

Now, a few words about one of the 2 main persons today, my lovely daughter, the bride, Angela. Isn’t she beautiful today? I remember the day Angela was born, at the hospital when a nurse pushed the trolley with her on it to us, looking at you the first time, I had tears on my cheeks. There you were, my daughter was born into this world, cute and healthy. Joy was in my heart.

It’s not hard to talk about Angela. All people who are close to her know that how good and how lovely a person she is. I believe these personality traits accurately describes Angela: charm, beauty and well balanced. By her charm, she can virtually navigate to any situation, effortlessly resolves conflicts. A small example: when she finished her double degree knowing that my wife and I preferred her to practice in one field, in a calm and logical manner, she convinced us to allow her to pursue the other career, outlined how well she could do in that career. What she said turns out to be true. She now has her own practice and it’s doing very well. But more importantly, she is working in a field that she really loves. On beauty, Angela is pretty outside, and beautiful inside. She is loyal, cares for those close to her, put in effort to help when needed. She also loves nature and cares for the environment. She buys environmental friendly products and pays money to get old clothes collected and recycled. She encourages me and my wife to do the same, and is happy that in the past few years for parties at home we have stopped using plastic plates and cups. And on well balanced, Angela works very hard but also likes to relax and spend time with family and friends. She is a person who can wake up quite early to do work if required but if allowed can stay in bed until lunch.

So my dear Angela, what dad want to say is that I am proud of you, a loving daughter that any parent could have wished for. And I am very happy that you have found your love. And on this occasion, let me tell you a little secret. At the end of your baptism ceremony at the church, I carried you in my arm to the front of Mother Mary statue, there I prayed and entrusted her to help protect you for your whole life. I thank her that she accepted my prayer. From being a talkative, cheerful little girl you have blossomed into a very beautiful, smart, compassionate and lovely young lady.

Now, talking about Luke, my son-in-law. My wife and I were impressed the first time we met him and it was at our home. We had dinner, and when asked to sit down Luke refused, saying that he could not sit until the head of the family, which was me, sit first. Luke, you made me feel old 😊. Over the past few years, got to know Luke more, I like him more. (A side note: My wife , of course, loves everyone who loves her daughter 😊). Luke, being the only child in his family, was not spoiled at all. In fact, he is a respectful, hardworking and handy person. The fact that he had some disadvantages while he was young, such as having to work in various casual jobs after school to help his mum, and yet still got into one of the hardest uni course proves his determination. And I could see that he really loves big family, has a good circle of couple friends who have children, and has mixed quite well with my extended family. And, already a smart person, Luke is humble person and is willing to learn, so he gets smarter all the time. Again, Luke, that reminds me of being old, since when was young, I was willing to learn all the times. 😊

Thank you Helen for raising a good son. Thank you Luke for loving Angela. And while we had considered you as a son from the date you engaged Angela, my wife and I would like to formally welcome you to the family as our son-in-law.

So to end my speech, this is a day of happiness, not only for you two but also for me and my wife. Our daughter is married to her love, and we welcome a new, good son into the family.

And with that, please join me raise a toast the new husband and wife, Luke and Angela.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that I've moved your thread to the general "Editing and Writing Topics". You put it in "Letter Writing" but it's not a letter at all. It's a speech. Because it's not a letter, don't open with the word "To". Open with something simple like "Good morning/afternoon/evening, everyone".

lxnguyen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for putting it in the right forum. The wedding is in a week time. Thanks.,

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say either, "The wedding's in a week" or "The wedding's in a week's time".

It's pretty long.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To all lovely relatives on both sides, family friends, and friends of Angela and Luke.
Good morning/afternoon/evening, everyone.
It is a great pleasure to have you here this morning at home and here this evening.
You can't use "It is" if you're going to go on to refer to both this morning and this evening. When are you making this speech? If it's "this evening", say "It was lovely to see you all at XXX's home this morning, and we're very happy to have you here this evening" (or similar).
I would like to thank you for your presence coming.
I know it means a lot to Angela and Luke for all of you here to share their special day with you all.

I've made a start above.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
To all lovely relatives on both sides, Hello everyone, and welcome. family friends, and friends of Angela and Luke.

It is a great pleasure to have you here this morning at home and here this evening . I would like to thank you for your presence.
I know it means a lot to Angela and Luke for all of you here to share their special day.

We would also like to thank all those who have helped with this wedding, big and small. young and old. Angela and Luke have put in a lot of effort into organizing this special day, and we as parents put in our bit, with great helps help from close our dear relatives. Your willingness show your love to the new couple, and it is much appreciated.

Now, a few words about one of the 2 main persons today, the happy couple. My lovely daughter, the bride, Angela. Isn’t she beautiful today? I remember the day Angela was born, at the hospital when a nurse pushed the trolley with her on it to us. looking at you the When I saw you, Angela, for the first time, I had tears ran down on my cheeks. There you were, my daughter was born into this world, cute and healthy. Joy was in my heart.

It’s not hard to talk about Angela. All people who are close to her Everyone who knows Angela, knows that how good and how she’s a good and lovely a person. she is. I believe these personality traits accurately describes Angela: She is charming, beautiful and well balanced. By her charm, she can virtually navigate to any situation, effortlessly resolves conflicts. A small example: I remember when she finished her double degree, knowing that my wife and I preferred her to that she practice in one field, but in a calm and logical manner, she convinced us to allow her to pursue the other another career path. , outlined how well she could do in that career. What she said turns out to be true. She turned out to be right. She now has her own practice and it’s doing very well. But more importantly, she is working in a field that she really loves. On beauty, Angela is pretty outside, and beautiful inside. She is loyal, cares for those close to her, put in effort always ready to help when needed. She also loves nature and cares for the environment. She buys environmentally friendly products and pays money to get old clothes collected and recycled. She encourages me and my wife to do the same, and is happy that in the past few years for parties at home we have stopped using plastic plates and cups for our parties at home, thanks to her. And on well balanced, Angela works very hard but also likes to relax and spend time with family and friends. She is a person who can wake up quite early to do work if required but if allowed can stay in bed until lunch.

So my dear Angela, what dad wants to say is that I am proud of you. a loving daughter that any parent could have wished for. and I am very happy that you have found your love. And on this occasion, let me tell you a little secret. At the end of your baptism ceremony at the church, I carried you in my arm to the front of Mother Mary’s statue. There, I prayed and entrusted asked her to help protect you for your whole life. I thank her that she accepted has fulfilled my prayer. From being a talkative, cheerful little girl, you have blossomed into a very beautiful, smart, compassionate and lovely young lady.

Now, talking I’ll say a few words about Luke, my son-in-law. My wife and I were impressed with this young man the first time we met him. and it was at our home. We had dinner at home, and when asked Luke to sit down, he politely pointed out Luke refused, saying that he could not sit until the head of the family, which was who is me, sit sat first. Luke, you made me feel old 😊. Over the past few years, as I got to know Luke more, I got to like him more. (A side note: My wife , of course, loves everyone who loves her daughter 😊). Luke, being is the only child in his family, was not spoiled at all. In fact, he and is a respectful, hardworking and handy very pleasant person. The fact that he had some disadvantages faced challenges while he was young, such as having to work in various casual jobs after school to help his mum, and yet still got into one of the hardest uni courses proves his determination. And I could I can see that he really loves big family, and has a good circle of couple friends who are family oriented. have children, and has mixed quite well with my extended family. And, already Luke is a smart person, Luke is humble but modest person and is willing to learn, so he gets smarter all the time. Again, Luke, that reminds me of being old, since when I was young, I was willing to learn all the time. 😊

Thank you Helen for raising a good son. Thank you Luke for loving Angela. And while we had have considered you as a son from the date you got engaged to Angela, my wife and I would like to formally welcome you to the family as our son-in-law.

So to end my speech, this is a day of happiness, not only for you two Angela and Luke, but also for me and my wife. Our daughter is married to her love, and we welcome a new, good son into the family.

And with that, let’s please join me raise a toast to the new husband and wife, happy couple - Luke and Angela.

lxnguyen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Many thanks or the speech edit. Through it I learn more about using better expression and more appropriate words.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You're welcome. Pass on our best wishes to your daughter and her fiance.