Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Is it possible to use the past perfect as in sentence one. If both sentences are correct, what is the difference?

1. Households using broadcast technology declined constantly to 100,000 in 2004 and had fallen to 15,000 by 2014.
2. Households using broadcast technology declined constantly to 100,000 in 2004 and fell to 15,000 by 2014.

The chart is attached.Screenshot_20231114-154511.png

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Households using broadcast technology declined constantly to 100,000 in 2004 and had fallen to 15,000 by 2014.
2. Households using broadcast technology declined constantly to 100,000 in 2004 and fell to 15,000 by 2014.
The underlined part in both is a problem. "Constantly" is certainly not the right word but the bigger problem is that the numbers are wrong. All we know about 2004, where the chart starts, is that the figure was 100,000 at that point. We don't know that it declined to that figure because we don't know what the numbers were in 2003 and earlier years.

100,000 households were using broadcast technology in 2004 and this fell to 15,000 by 2014.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you. Is it possible to use past perfect instead simple past is in number one assuming the date is correct? To explain my question further, should I use simple past with simple past or simple past with past perfect?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
By remarkable coincidence, I've just spent all of this morning using this exact same graph to teach my IELTS students.

It's very apparent to me that you sorely need some personal tuition on how to write IELTS tasks, mrmvp. Can I ask why you're not hiring a teacher?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
By remarkable coincidence, I've just spent all of this morning using this exact same graph to teach my IELTS students.

It's very apparent to me that you sorely need some personal tuition on how to write IELTS tasks, mrmvp. Can I ask why you're not hiring a teacher?

You convinced me previously by hiring a teacher. However, I paid for writing service corrections that offer corrections only.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do you mean a writing checking service? If you have a teacher, why do you need that?

I don't think that kind of service is very useful to help you with IELTS. How is it working out for you?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Do you mean a writing checking service? If you have a teacher, why do you need that?

I don't think that kind of service is very useful to help you with IELTS. How is it working out for you?

A writing checking service, not a teacher. Untill now, I have submitted two assignments. The third one is on the way. I am making a progress. After I finish all the assignments, I might consider an online teacher.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A writing checking service, not a teacher.
If that's the case, why did you say this?
You convinced me previously by hiring a teacher.
By the way, that's not grammatical. You mean either "You previously convinced me to hire a teacher" (we now know that's not the case), or "You previously tried to convince me to hire a teacher" (that seems to be the case).

Untill Until now So far, I have submitted two assignments. The third one is on the way. I am making a progress. After I finish all the assignments, I might consider an online teacher.
Note my corrections above. "Progress" is uncountable.