Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
You can make a career from REALITY (REAL) television. Some of these television programmes will pay for an APPEARANCE (APPEAR) on their shows, others will reward the WINNER (WIN). Your SUCCESS (SUCCEED) depends on the PERFORMANCE (PERFORM) you make , because these shows are all about ENTERTAINMENT (ENTERTAIN). You may even get a chance to appear on other shows. One star of Castaway, for example, has a regular job in a big London MUSICAL (MUSIC).
However, there are DISADVANTAGES (ADVANTAGE) too. In a programme like Pop Idol you have to beat the other COMPETITORS (COMPETE) and in shows like Big Brother, the PRODUCER (PRODUCE) will be filming you around the clock. At some stage you will probably be saying something you are not PARTICULARLY (PARTICULAR) proud of . Nobody other than the CONTESTANT (CONTEST) will know how serious the situation was. If you are UNFORTUNATE (FORTUNE) you may become famous, but it will not be the kind of FAME (FAMOUS) you want.

It's from here: http://www.english-grammar.at/online_exercises/word-formation/wf049-make-money-on-tv.htm

My answer was "fortunate". Would it be inappropriate here?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Fortunate" would fit there.

But - it's your answer to what? What's the question you're answering?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
But - it's your answer to what? What's the question you're answering?
In the exercise, I should have filled the blanks with appropriate forms of words in the parentheses. Yes, I felt the word "answer" wasn't suitable, but what word would have fit I just don't know. In Russian, it's "answer". What English word or phrase would be okay for this situation?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You used "answer" correctly. I just wanted to know what you were answering.

The last sentence in the exercise doesn't quite work, no matter what word you put there. As it is, you're right that "fortunate" is the answer.

The problem is the word "but."

If we got rid of the "but" and made it two sentences, the we could say: "If you are unfortunate you will become famous. It will not be the kind of fame you want."

Then "unfortunate" would be the answer, and the sentence would make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.