Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I am transcribing the words of a film of the 60's, and I found four more sentences that I can't understand. Anyone could transcribe them for me? The first one refers to some type of flowers, and the last one contains the words of a madman. They are recorded directly from the soundtrack in the attached file. It lasts 17 seconds. Thanks.

Last edited:

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I was more sure when I helped you before. This time I am just recording what I hear. If you give me more context I may be able to be more helpful.

What movie is it? Are the names of the flowers clear anywhere else? Can you describe what I happening on the screen during these scenes?

Now here we have (and that's)/(next) the ?bobkin? white.

This is ?(called awn)? / ?(caroldon)?

And that's a gladiator.

I think you're as rehearsed as a man could be.

Howee, why must you gentlemen conform, hmm? Why not turn to these peasants, look them in the eye and say "The hell with conformity!"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This is ?(called awn)? / ?(caroldon)?

It sounded more like the first to me.

gamboler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks, Munch and Tdol.

The fourth and fifth sentences are OK to me, but I can't say the same thing about the first three.

What kind of flower is a bobkin? an awn? a caroldon?

I googled the web without results.

What you thought was "a gladiator" is indeed "a gladiolus". This a very common flower, even here in Spain.

You asked me about the name of the movie: It's "Shock Treatment" (1964) starring Stuart Whitman & Lauren Bacall.

Sorry, they don't repeat the name of the flowers later.

Munch, I tell you what's happening on the screen during this scenes: A man is showing some plants and flowers to another guy in a Garden Center, proving that he knows a lot about their features.

Maybe I need some expert in Botanic gardens to understand and write the correct names of the flowers. Some minutes ago, I looked up a list of the 100 most common flowers and neither of them sounded like awn, bobkin or caroldon. Any help?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks, Munch and Tdol.

What you thought was "a gladiator" is indeed "a gladiolus". This a very common flower, even here in Spain.

Well, I listened several times, and there is no shadow of doubt in my mind that he said 'gladiator'.

gamboler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I saw the scene again and it's clear that the third flower is a gladiolus.

Maybe Stuart Whitman (the star) has a bad pronunciation or knows nothing about plants, but "gladiator" is not a the name of a flower but a man trained to fight with other men or with animals for the amusement of spectators in ancient Rome. And it is also the name of the famous Ridley Scott movie! Anything about the other mysterious flowers?

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Well, I listened several times, and there is no shadow of doubt in my mind that he said 'gladiator'.

Yes, I am sure too. I listened carefully because I assumed I had misheard "gladiolus". He says "gladiator" which might be a joke - maybe he tried to learn about flowers but he still makes a lot of mistakes.

Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I saw the scene again and it's clear that the third flower is a gladiolus. That is irrelevant. He said, 'gladiator'. You have fallen into the the common trap of hearing what you want to hear. You know that the flower is a gladioulus, so your ear/brain cannot believe that that it hears 'gladiator'.

(Did your eye/brain notice that I wrote the word 'the' twice before 'common' and the word 'that' twice after 'believe'?)

gamboler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
You are right, fivejedjon. I didn't notice the duplicity!

And maybe, as Munch said, it was an intentional joke of the gardener.

But I still want the answer to what "bobkins" "awns" and "caroldons" are. I'm sure these words are missepelled.

Any expert in gardening who can guess the real name of the flowers hearing again the audio file?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Is the man a passionate flower lover? Following this 'gladiator' logic, he could be referring to the flowers using common names or terms rather than botanical ones. This is highly impropable, but... :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is this a comedy film or at least a humorous section? He could just be making up words in every case.
The COD informs me that an awn is "a stiff bristle, esp. one growing from the sheath around the seed of cereals and other grasses".
bobkins - catkins?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
caroldon - coriander?

gamboler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It's not a comedy film. As far as I know, it doesn't have jokes.

The movie is a thriller about a money-hungry actor who is hired to fake insanity in order to enter a psychopathic Hospital. There, he tries to find $1 million, because one of the patients killed his wealthy boss and then supposedly hid her money. This mad patient is a gardener.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's not a comedy film. As far as I know, it doesn't have jokes.

The movie is a thriller about a money-hungry actor who is hired to fake insanity in order to enter a psychopathic Hospital. There, he tries to find $1 million, because one of the patients killed his wealthy boss and then supposedly hid her money. This mad patient is a gardener.

It sounds to me as though it was intended to be a comedy. One moment ... yes ... - I googled the title and found this: It's a ghoulish drive-in comedy on themes of mental illness.

So,
all the flower names are almost certainly wrong.

gamboler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Fivejedjon, I don't agree with Nathan Southern's critic review of the film.

See: In the same scene the gardener says "floribunda rose" "hybrid polyanthus" and "climbing roses" that are names of real flowers. I saw this movie twice and I assure you it's not a comedy but a dramatic thriller very similar to Shock Corridor by Samuel Fuller. So I think that the mysterious names are not invented or changed by the screenwriter or the director.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Fivejedjon, I don't agree with Nathan Southern's critic review of the film.
I think that the mysterious names are not invented or changed by the screenwriter or the director.

Fine. We'll have to agree to differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.