Globalization is a double-edged sword...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Can someone give me a couple of sentence patterns that have the same meaning or play the same role in a sentence like "Globalization is a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways"? Thank you!!!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It has positive and negative aspects- you can, for example, get cheap products, but you may lose your job.

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It has positive and negative aspects- you can, for example, get cheap products, but you may lose your job.

Thanks!:-D

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note the corrected punctuation of the quoted sentence:

"Globalization is a double-edged sword: it cuts both ways."

Whilst your thanks are appreciated, you don't need to send them in a separate post or to quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Can someone give me a couple of sentence patterns that have the same meaning or play the same role in a sentence like "Globalization is a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways"? Thank you!!!

Another pattern, which doesn't work so well with globalization, is 'X is two way street'.

Another one, not meaning quite the same, is 'You've got to [learn to] take the rough with the smooth.'

b

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Another pattern, which doesn't work so well with globalization, is 'X is two way street'.

Another one, not meaning quite the same, is 'You've got to [learn to] take the rough with the smooth.'

b

Thanks!! You gave me another choice..

X is a two-way street, seems to be used only in describing the relationships between two poeple. For example, Trust is a two-way street.. Did I understand it correctly? :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Well put! ( except for the 'people' bit (note the spelling)). It doesn't have to be people; it could be between organizations or countries - 'Trade is a two-way street. Devaluing your currency makes exports cheaper, but it also makes imports more expensive.' But yes, there has to be a relationship. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.