Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is it wrong to use "do" only in the first sentence because it's not used with "got"?

1. "He has got a new car, hasn't he?" Not "doesn't he?"

2. "She has breakfast at 10, hasn't/doesn't she?"

3. "You have a terrible headache, haven't you/don't?"

4. "She has a shower every morning, hasn't she/doesn't she?"

5. "You have a wonderful house, haven't you/don't you?"

Isn't "hasn't" wrong in the second sentence and fourth and third sentences, but correct in the fifth sentence?

Do you remember those halcyon days when we stuck to questions about just one sentence per thread - initially, at least?

Do you remember those halcyon days when we stuck to questions about just one sentence per thread - initially, at least?

I do. But I am asking about the different use of "have" I think I need to put them together. If they are together I can better explain what am confused by.

I'm going to try and give you a simple "rule". When "have" is part of a present perfect verb in the first clause, the question tag also uses some form of "have". When it's used to express possession in the first clause, the question tag usually uses a form of "does/doesn't/don't".

You've had dinner, haven't you?
You've been to France, haven't you?
You haven't done your homework, have you?
She has opened my present, hasn't she?

You have a dog, don't you?
You don't have a dog, do you?
She has three showers a day, doesn't she? ("has" in BrE = "takes" in AmE)
They have a lovely home, don't they?

You're right that using "has got" is the (or at least an) exception that proves the rule.

You've got a dog, haven't you?

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. When "has" doesn't mean to "possess" but when it's used to refer to an action it should be used with "do/does" as you showed in your examples. "She has three showers a day, doesn't she?" Not "hasn't". But would "hasn't" be correct in informal speech? And when "have" is used to mean "possess" do native speakers use "haven't/hasn't" forms. "She has a dog, hasn't she?"
From your explanation I understand what is the usual use but it's useful to know other possible versions if they exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. When "has" doesn't mean to "possess" but when it's used to refer to an action it should be used with "do/does" as you showed in your examples. "She has three showers a day, doesn't she?" Not "hasn't". But would "hasn't" be correct in informal speech? And when "have" is used to mean "possess" do native speakers use "haven't/hasn't" forms. "She has a dog, hasn't she?"
From your explanation I understand what is the usual use but it's useful to know other possible versions if they exist.

No. We wouldn't say "She has three showers a day, hasn't she?" in BrE at all.
You might hear "She has a dog, hasn't she?" from some older people (my grandfather, born in 1921, would have used it) but not from most people in standard, everyday English.

In one of my textbooks (I don't remember which one) there were these examples: "I have a cooked breakfast, " "I have pizza for dinner" and "I have a toothache/headache". Does "have" mean to "have" in them or is it used as an expression such as "have a shower/dinner/bath" etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
In one of my textbooks (I don't remember which one), there were these examples:

1. I have a cooked breakfast.
2. I have pizza for dinner.
3. I have a toothache/headache.

Does "have" mean to "have" in them or is it used as an expression such as "have a shower/dinner/bath" etc?

1. Have = eat
2. Have = eat
3. Have = have/am experiencing

1. Have = eat
2. Have = eat
3. Have = have/am experiencing

Then in all of them tag questions should be the following:

1. "You have a cooked breakfast, don't you?"

2. "You have pizza for dinner, don't you?"

3. "You have a headache/toothache, don't you?" Not "haven't you?" in any of them. Is that right?

In AmE we use take rather than have a shower. With bath, both take and have are used.

I agree with your use of don't you rather than haven't you. It's more natural.

Then in all of them tag questions should be the following:

1. "You have a cooked breakfast, don't you?"

2. "You have pizza for dinner, don't you?"

3. "You have a headache/toothache, don't you?" Not "haven't you?" in any of them. Is that right?
Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back