Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello to all,

I remember a few days ago I was reading a writing and I came across this:

Having said that,........

Is it correct to use that in writing an article?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This phrase is very typical of casual spoken English.

What kind of article?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This phrase is very typical of casual spoken English.

What kind of article?

It was a formal article for the GRE exam if I'm not mistaken. So it's wrong in writing?

The essay was written by a non-native speaker.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What do you mean by 'formal article'?

I'd have to see the text in order to judge fairly how appropriate it was to use a phrase that is typically used in casual spoken English in a piece of writing, but it sounds like it could be inappropriate.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What do you mean by 'formal article'?

I'd have to see the text in order to judge fairly how appropriate it was to use a phrase that is typically used in casual spoken English in a piece of writing, but it sounds like it could be inappropriate.

Usually the writings that are written for these international tests are formal in terms of register. I remember the rest of the text was also formal.

What is a better alternative?

Having stated that? Having opined that?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Usually the writings that are written for these international tests are formal in terms of register.

Are you sure? I very much doubt it. Why would an international test ask you to write a formal article? Formal in what way?

Unfortunately, I know very little about the GRE test. Do any of our American members have much knowledge of this? Skrej?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are you sure? I very much doubt it. Why would an international test ask you to write a formal article? Formal in what way?

Unfortunately, I know very little about the GRE test. Do any of our American members have much knowledge of this? Skrej?

But generally speaking, is it wrong to use "having said that" in a formal writing? What about semi-formal writing?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What do you mean by 'formal writing'? Can you give an example? (Not a language test.)

I suspect I have a very different idea from you of what 'formal' means.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What do you mean by 'formal writing'? Can you give an example? (Not a language test.)

I suspect I have a very different idea from you of what 'formal' means.

Does it matter? You mean in some writings it's okay to use "having said that" and in others it's not okay?

Could you please tell me when in writing it is okay and when it is not okay to use "having said that"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Does it matter? You mean in some writings it's okay to use "having said that" and in others it's not okay?

Yes, exactly.

Could you please tell me when in writing it is okay and when it is not okay to use "having said that"?

The appropriacy of this phrase depends on what we call the 'genre' of the text. Some written texts are written to sound 'chatty', as if the writer wants you to imagine that he/she is talking casually to you. In texts like this, it's quite appropriate to use language that is characteristic of casual spoken English.

As I said, I don't know about the GRE exam, so I'm reluctant to give an answer one way or the other about that, but in the Cambridge international language exams, it would be okay, if a little unlikely, to use this phrase in an article.

I really don't want to comment further without seeing the specific use of the phrase in the text because appropriacy does also depend on use of the phrase.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello to all,

I remember a few days ago I was reading an article, and I came across this:

Having said that,........

Is it correct to use that in writing an article?

I don't know where you learned that (a writing), but it wasn't from me.

As for your question, you could say that. (Do you want to?) Not knowing what the context is, I can't comment further.

Status
Not open for further replies.