He found himself looking into corners for the favourite pieces of the unborn children of marriages that were never made.

Vincent Chen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello everyone,

I came across a sentence when reading Gerald Murnane's "The Plains":
"The same landowner began to describe other influences that he felt late at night in the more remote wings of his house. He sensed sometimes the lingering persistence of forces that had failed—of a history that had almost come into being. He found himself looking into corners for the favourite pieces of the unborn children of marriages that were never made."

How do we understand the last sentence? More specifically, what does "the favourite pieces" refer to? Whose favourite pieces? Pieces of what?

This is really confusing; or is it just me?

Please help me understand.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is a very strange sentence -- especially the phrase in question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. guys,

I came across a sentence when reading Gerald Murnane's "The Plains":

"The same landowner began to describe other influences that he felt late at night in the more remote wings of his house. He sensed sometimes the lingering persistence of forces that had failed—of a history that had almost come into being. He found himself looking into corners for the favourite pieces of the unborn children of marriages that were never made."

How do we understand the last sentence? More specifically, what does "the favourite pieces" refer to? Whose favourite pieces? Pieces of what?

This is really confusing to me. or is it just me?

Please kindly help me understand. "Please kindly" is tautologous.

Thanks a lot! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.
Please note my corrections and comments above.

Please don't refer to users as "guys". We're not all male.
We don't enclose book titles between < and >. Either use quotation marks or italicise the title.
Don't try to start sentences with "or".

I have no idea what that sentence means.

Vincent Chen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your corrections and comments, they are very helpful for improving my own English.
I will avoid starting a thread with "Hello guys", this is really ill-considered. I apologize for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
How do we understand the last sentence?
I believe it's meant to be read with the previous sentence. Forces that failed. A history that almost came into being.

He found himself looking into corners for the favourite pieces of the unborn children of marriages that were never made."
He found himself looking for signs of things that could have come into existence but didn't.
It's vague but I think it's meant to be that way.

Vincent Chen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He found himself looking for signs of things that could have come into existence but didn't.
Thank you, that's what I thought as well. I think “the unborn children of marriages that were never made” can be understood in a figurative sense, but the phrase "the favourate pieces of” prior to it is still very confusing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would guess that they mean toys and favourite rattles, dummies (pacifiers), blankets, etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now that 5jj has pointed that out, I agree. He's looking for what would have been the favourite toys/possessions of those children who were never born.

Vincent Chen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would guess that they mean toys and favourite rattles, dummies (pacifiers), blankets, etc.
That's also what I guessed at first, but it still feels awkward. Maybe that's the best guess we can get?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's also what I guessed at first, but it still feels awkward. Maybe that's the best guess we can get. That's not a question so the question mark was incorrect.
Re-read post #7.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The writer of that piece lives in a weird fantasy world and wants the rest of us to join him. He talks about children who were never born, toys they never had and other things that never existed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Such things would be the biggest failures of the past as the marriages had not taken place. I think the writer might be trying to be poetic and suggestive here- a haunting image, though not a particularly successful one for me.