Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
He is studying law and in that regard he is doing very well

The sentence above is from Merriam Webster, and it exemplifies in that regard. What I want to ask is, would it make a difference if in the sentence above, one substituted in that regard for in this regard or in this respect or in that respect? I've read countless examples in countless online dictionaries, and I can't feel a difference. Are those four interchangeable?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's a poor example, in my opinion. These are much better:

Always work on the hypothesis that no two things are ever interchangeable. Look for the differences. Don't focus on cases where differences are slight—focus on cases where differences are revealed. Where you can't distinguish differences in meaning, focus on differences in use.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
That's a poor example, in my opinion. These are much better:

Always work on the hypothesis that no two things are ever interchangeable. Look for the differences. Don't focus on cases where differences are slight—focus on cases where differences are revealed. Where you can't distinguish differences in meaning, focus on differences in use.
The university needs to cut costs but has not made any particular proposals in this regard.

If anything, shouldn't in the sentence above be in that regard, since the regard was mentioned earlier in the sentence? This regard would be better if the regard was about to be mentioned. At least that's how I get it. Have I got it wrong? And if I have got it wrong, can you please enlighten me?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have I got it wrong? And if I have got it wrong, can you please enlighten me?

Yes, you have. I'll try at least to begin to enlighten you:

The choice of this/that does not depend only on what is about to be mentioned. It depends only on proximity. The referent may just as well be conceived as coming before as after.

Status
Not open for further replies.