Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've been watching a movie about Leonid Brezhnev (the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, 1906-1982). There is this scene:

He's just left the building in which a crew of guys has been working on his upcoming speech. One of those guys put on thick eyebrows and fake medals that look like Brezhnev's and during the rehearsal tried sounding just like Brezhnev who was known for delivering his speeches in a rather funny way (constantly smacking his lips and drawling). So when Brezhnev walked in the guy was delivering a speech and Brezhnev saw it. The guy felt uneasy and was at a loss for words.
In the car, Brezhnev tells his aide: "At the upcoming plenum we should raise the issue of replacing these guys. They -----------------------".

He says something like They've become surfeited with the good life or They've become overfed or They are going crazy with the ease of living or maybe They're spoilt silly - something like that.

How would you express this idea in English? I don't mind if it's slang. Thank you in advance. :up:

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
wallowing in sloth, perhaps?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They're going nuts with nothing to do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without knowing what else is happening with "these guys", it's hard to make a suggestion. All we know is that they've been working on his speech and one of them has been making fun of him. We don't know of any other reason why they should be replaced from the excerpt you have posted.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for your input. Basically, the phrase I'm looking for has something to do with a state when someone's life is so easy he or she doesn't know what to do. In Russian, this phrase has something to do with eating - "zazhralsya" - He "zazhralsya". It's kinda being fed to the point of absurdity. When I hear it in Russian I think of someone whose job is so cushy and whose life is so easy (thanks to someone else) that it starts going to his head.
"Fed up" is really close as far as the word-for-word translation but means something else. "Overfed" is not it.
"Spoilt silly" - maybe.
"His life is too easy" is the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.