Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From NHK WORLD-JAPAN]

Inkstones in a Digital Age

Aoyagi Takashi makes the inkstones for grinding the sumi ink used in calligraphy, the art of writing with brush and ink. Aoyagi not only carves these inkstones, but goes deep into the mountains to look for stones that will become one-of-a-kind pieces. He uses all five senses to bring out the unique characteristics of each, which is why he can only produce ten a year. He talks about his craft and his dedication to keeping the tradition of writing with brush and ink alive despite the rise of digital communication.
----

I think that the blue text in the present simple refers to a habitual present action, but how about the red text "talks"? Why is it also in the present simple? I assume that it's because this is a description of a recorded video. We can play the video
at any time, so the present simple is used.

What do you think?

----
(Source) https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/...W0apRwU1tAw4mhee8rkXXXVyoK4irxjuEQoBSEG-Zfy4U
9ObmyR0.jpg

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you're overthinking it again.

It seems to me that 'talks' is in the present tense for the same reason that the other verbs are.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I just found that this kind of description on the site is always in the present simple. There are two other examples below. What kind of present simple tense is it? I don't think that it refers to habitual actions. How about my thought in post #1? Another possible answer is that it is like a present simple tense in a summary. What do you think? :-?

G4IzRyE.jpg

8qqR6PQ.jpg

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, right. He talks about his craft in this broadcast.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, right. He talks about his craft in this broadcast.
Which do you mean is right? My thought in post #1? Or is it like a present simple tense in a summary? :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thought in post #1.

Status