he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owed to

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owed to

My friend went somewhere with his friend. So they decided that only one person would spend the money for all the things they needed while travelling rather than both taking out money on train (Which was rather unsafe). My friend's friend asked him to spend the money. He told him that at the end of the journey he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owed to my friend" or "his share of money".

Please check my sentences.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owe

My friend Paul went somewhere with his friend. They decided that only one person would pay for everything they needed while travelling, rather than both taking out money on the train (which was rather unsafe). The friend asked Paul to handle the money. He said that at the end of the journey he would take a look at the total expenditure and pay Paul. the half he owed him.

It becomes simpler to look at the structures if you give your friend a name.

"The money that "he owed to my friend" or "his share of money." Are these sentences totally wrong?

Can't we simply say "What he owed him"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: he would take a look at the total expenditure and give him the money that "he owe

"The money that "he owed to my friend" or "his share of money." Are these sentences totally wrong?

Can't we simply say "What he owed him"?

The money owing by someone is not his/her share of the money. It is the "share of money owed". Piscean's "the half that he owed" is still the best term for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.