Help about possessive and inanimate objects (or are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asking4Help

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello everyone,

I am little confused about the possessive and inanimate objects.
I understand that celestial bodies (the Earth, the Moon and so on) are not considered inanimate objects. Hence, the MCU's quote: Earth's mightiest heroes.

That part is clear. But what about what looks at first as inanimate objects but also can be understood as a group of living people? I am thinking about:
  • the World
  • Countries: Japan, France... (and by extension, cities, states, continents...)
  • Companies and brands: Tesla, Amazon...
In a nutshell, I am wondering whether we can consider all those things as a group of living people and as a consequence, use the possessive. If so, are there more cases? Are there exceptions?

You also may have noticed I had written MCU's and that was on purpose :)
I must admit that I struggle finding a definitive rule on the Internet. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on this topic.

Regards.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's because there isn't a definitive rule. Grammar purists insist that the possessive not be used with inanimate objects. Others have no inhibitions against using it.

It's not so much a rule, as a stylistic preference. More people might agree to avoid it in formal or academic writing, but use it widely in day-to-day English - more so in some regions and variants than other.

For example, I have no issue with saying something like "I hit my shin on the table's corner." Some would shed tears of incredulity at such an utterance, while others would merely laugh at my misfortune.

There's a deeper history to the use of the apostrophe and possession, relating to Anglo-Saxon genitives versus Latin via Norman French influences, but that's just a rationale for whichever side of the inanimate possessive coin one's opinion lies on. From what I've read, it can be used to defend or refute either viewpoint.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I concur. People talk about their car's engine or a dress's color without any confusion or sense that this is an error.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I find the proposition that celestial bodies are not inanimate objects dubious to say the least. I continue to consider them inanimate objects, the expression "mother earth" notwithstanding.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That and five dollars will get you a coffee at Starbuck's. 😀

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Asking4Help Two things. One, it should be possessives. Two, I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing. And that's not consult any website for grammar advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.