English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Well, I guess I need a hand here.
Is there an idiom in English that would be the equivalent for "no escurinho do cinema" in Portuguese.
That means in the dark of the movie theater... meaning the secret and protected place people would kiss, make out, etc around 40 or more years ago.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Well, I guess I need a hand here.
Is there an idiom in English that would be the equivalent for "no escurinho do cinema" in Portuguese.
That means in the dark of the movie theater... meaning the secret and protected place people would kiss, make out, etc around 40 or more years ago.

"The back row of the cinema" is the only thing I can think of that might mean what you want.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"The back row of the cinema" is the only thing I can think of that might mean what you want.
Ah - the back row at the flea-pit on Saturday night. That takes me back. :) Two back stalls, ten Woodies, two choc ices, a bit of slap and tickle - all for under ten bob.

(Two seats in the back row of the stalls [downstairs seats in a cinema], ten Woodbines [a cheap brand of cigarettes], two chocolate coated ice-creams, a certain amount of romantic dalliance, all for less than ten shillings [half a pound]).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jed, "woodie" has another connotation here. I won't be specific, but if you had had ten of them in one evening, you'd be a very ... sore young man. ;-)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jed, "woodie" has another connotation here. I won't be specific, but if you had had ten of them in one evening, you'd be a very ... sore young man. ;-)

:oops:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course, you should not be smoking 10 cigarettes in the span of a two-hour film either!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course, you should not be smoking 10 cigarettes in the span of a two-hour film either!

When I was 13, back in the days when 1) I smoked and 2) you could smoke in the cinema, I did exactly that. And then I was sick in the street outside while waiting for the bus home. Not my proudest moment.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We had drive-in movies. (Still do, but they're rare.)

Sérgio Penna

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hey, I'll check whether that will suit. Thanks anyway.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We have no specific word for escurinho*, but 'the back row' is associated with the right sort of furtive/amorous/experimental behaviour.

b
PS * ... although, with my etymological hat on, I have just noticed that 'crepuscular' is similar (though not to be used in your case): oscuro Pg/ crepis Latin - 'dark'; -inho Pg/ -ulus Latin, diminutive/affective suffix. The only difference is the c, a vestige of the 'inchoative infix' -isc- - so that 'crepuscular' means 'becoming a little dark'.

Status
Not open for further replies.