English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello everybody,

I need to write down the script of a YouTube videoclip in order to create some exercises for my students.

As there are a few words I am unable to understand, I would like to ask you to help me complete the script.

This is the link to the video:

And here's my script:

Now, organizers say it's a tradition that goes back generations. So, the festival in southern China is devoted to feasting on dog meat. But in recent years the festival has become increasingly contentious with animal rights supporters doing their best to disrupt it. Anna Coren tells us more, and the report, we must warn you, does contain some disturbing scenes.

Early morning on the outskirts of Yulin in southern China, a deal is underway. A dozen dogs crammed into cages are about to be sold to slaughter. So before money is exchanged, animal rights activists ambush the meeting.

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protest organizers [XXX].

"Go ahead, run me over!".

This is the [XXX] and her volunteers have come to Yulin to protest against this series annual dog meat festival.

"I'm not going to sell them to you", yells the dog meat trader. "I don't care how much money you give me".

Another motorcycle arrives, this one carrying puppets.

An average dog sells for approximately 60 dollars. A butcher will then double that when he sells the meat at the market.

But as the activists negotiate to buy the dogs and some kittens stuffed into a bag, the trader suddenly triples his price.

"This dog criminal is too greedy, we can't afford it. We have to walk away".

For the volunteers it's another crushing defeat, as more people arrive to sell their dogs.

"My heart hurts", cries this activist. "I'm really sad that we couldn't save them".

China is one of several countries where dog meat is considered part of the culture and the daily diet.

"This is our tradition and something that's been passed on for generations", explains this woman.

As she chops up the carcass, her own dog [XXX] in the corner. She assures us, "He is not on the menu".​

In recent years the festival has brought unwanted attention. The Chinese government has even distanced itself saying it's no longer in vogue, banning signage advertising dog meat.

But despite the negative publicity, locals remain defiant. "Don't you eat beef?", asks this man. "If you stop eating beef, we'll stop eating dog".

"We eat it every day, all year round. It tastes good", says this diner. That's something these animal rights activists are refusing to accept.

So far they have rescued over four hundred dogs, some still wearing collars, a sign they were once someone's pet.

Considering the hundreds of thousands of dogs that are slaughtered across China each year, rescuing just these handfuls seems like an ineffective and piecemeal approach. But the activists hope that through education awareness and shaming those involved, they will eventually be able to bring an end to this cruel and inhumane tradition.

Shifting a cultural mindset will be an uphill battle, but they believe that's a fight worth having. The man's best friend.

The words I cannot grasp have been replaced with "[XXX]". Anyway, if you believe that some other words in my script are incorrect, I would be grateful if you told me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Please consider that the videoclip is about animal rights groups protesting against the Yulin dog-meat festival in China and it contains some disturbing scenes.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'll start:

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protest organizers [XXX].- This is the name of the organizer. It sound like Du Yu Fun.

"Go ahead, run me over!".

This is the [XXX] -This is the fourth year Du - and her volunteers have come to Yulin to protest against this series annual dog meat festival.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks. Do you know the meaning of "Du" in the expression "fourth year Du"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
By the way, I have managed to fill in one of the missing words:

As she chops up the carcass, her own dog cowers in the corner.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Another expression I'm not sure I have understood correctly is "in vogue" in the following sentence:

The Chinese government has even distanced itself saying it's no longer in vogue...

Do you think the speaker says something different?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have a doubt about the following sentence:

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protest organizer Du Yu Fun.

Unless I'm missing something, I think we need a verb after the woman's name. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Another expression I'm not sure I have understood correctly is "in vogue" in the following sentence:

The Chinese government has even distanced itself saying it's no longer in vogue...

Do you think the speaker says something different?

I think I got it. The speaker actually says, "it's no longer involved", meaning that the Chinese government has now nothing to do with the dog meat trade.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have a doubt about the following sentence:

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protest organizer Du Yu Fun.

Unless I'm missing something, I think we need a verb after the woman's name. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

So, this is the last doubt I have. All the rest has been sorted out.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
So, this is the last doubt I have. All the rest has been sorted out.

Do you think the speaker actually says:

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protests organizer Du Yu Fun"?

So "protests" is a verb in the third person singular and not a noun. Am I right?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Okay, after listening to the audio over and over again, I came up with this final version of my script:

Now, organizers say it's a tradition that goes back generations. A festival in southern China is devoted to feasting on dog meat. But in recent years the festival has become increasingly contentious with animal rights supporters doing their best to disrupt it. Anna Coren tells us more, and the report, we must warn you, does contain some disturbing scenes.

Early morning on the outskirts of Yulin in southern China, a deal is underway. A dozen dogs crammed into cages are about to be sold to slaughter. So before money is exchanged, animal rights activists ambush the meeting.

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protests organizer Du Yufeng. "Go ahead, run me over!".

This is the fourth year Du and her volunteers have come to Yulin to protest against this series annual dog meat festival.

"I'm not going to sell them to you", yells the dog meat trader. "I don't care how much money you give me".

Another motorcycle arrives, this one carrying puppies.

An average dog sells for approximately 60 dollars. A butcher will then double that when he sells the meat at the market.

But as the activists negotiate to buy the dogs and some kittens stuffed into a bag, the trader suddenly triples his price.

"This dog criminal is too greedy, we can't afford it. We have to walk away".

For the volunteers it's another crushing defeat, as more people arrive to sell their dogs.

"My heart hurts", cries this activist. "I'm really sad that we couldn't save them".

China is one of several countries where dog meat is considered part of the culture and the daily diet.

"This is our tradition and something that's been passed on for generations", explains this woman.

As she chops up the carcass, her own dog cowers in the corner. She assures us, "He is not on the menu".

In recent years the festival has brought unwanted attention. The Chinese government has even distanced itself saying it's no longer involved, banning signage advertising dog meat.

But despite the negative publicity, locals remain defiant. "Don't you eat beef?", asks this man. "If you stop eating beef, we'll stop eating dog".

"We eat it every day, all year round. It tastes good", says this diner. That's something these animal rights activists are refusing to accept.

So far they have rescued over four hundred dogs, some still wearing collars, a sign they were once someone's pet.

Considering the hundreds of thousands of dogs that are slaughtered across China each year, rescuing just these handfuls seems like an ineffective and piecemeal approach. But the activists hope that through education awareness and shaming those involved, they will eventually be able to bring an end to this cruel and inhumane tradition.

Shifting a cultural mindset will be an uphill battle, but they believe that's a fight worth having for man's best friend.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you think the speaker actually says:

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them please", protests organizer Du Yu Fun"?

So "protests" is a verb in the third person singular and not a noun. Am I right?

I think it is the noun because it says pleads protest(s) organiser Du. It sounds like the plural protests to me, but it isn't that clear. However, this isn't their first protest.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I think it is the noun because it says pleads protest(s) organiser Du. It sounds like the plural protests to me, but it isn't that clear. However, this isn't their first protest.

I think you are perfectly right. So the correct sentence is the following:

"We want to buy them. Don't kill them!", pleads protest organizer Du Yufeng. "Go ahead, run me over!".

Another word I am not sure I have understood correctly (simply because, in my opinion, it does not make much sense in that context) is "series" in the phrase "...against this series annual dog meat festival". Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is city's annual dog festival.

Status