Help with understanding 'in absolute terms'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cappy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
While reading a book called A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America by Bruce Gibney, I find a term called 'in absolute terms'. This sentence I find,"Though economic conditions of the Seventies may have been the worst since the Great Depression, they were not so bad in absolute terms: living standards continued to rise and performance was better, overall, than it would be in subsequent recessions".

I search Longman's Dictionary. It gives 'measured by itself, not in comparison with other things'

Example: In absolute terms wages have risen, but not in comparison with the cost of living."

I still no understand. Does it mean 'absolutely'?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While reading a book called A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America by Bruce Gibney, I find a term found the phrase called 'in absolute terms'. This is the full sentence I find found: "Though economic conditions of the Seventies may have been the worst since the Great Depression, they were not so bad in absolute terms: living standards continued to rise and performance was better, overall, than it would be in subsequent recessions".

I searched Longman's Dictionary. It gives 'measured by itself, not in comparison with other things'.

Example: In absolute terms wages have risen, but not in comparison with the cost of living."

I still no don't/do not understand. Does it mean 'absolutely'?
Please note my corrections above. I think you need to study the past simple tense. Put book titles in italics. There is no need to put them in bold.

No, it doesn't mean "absolutely".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems rather circular if you ask me. Economic conditions were the worst since the Great Depression, but they were really not so bad. Compared to what? The Great Depression. The phrase "in absolute terms" seems to suggest we're not comparing it to anything else, but we always do that. That writer does it. (That's not my favorite expression.)

Status
Not open for further replies.