Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi all. Just had a 90 minute chat with a new potential client and would welcome any guidance and/or help finding materials.

She is a 35 year old lady living in Cadiz, Spain. She is, I'd say, at a strong intermediate level using sophisticated vocabulary with good use of tenses. She is mainly self taught using YouTube and various course books. However several of her family members have a good level of English. I'm surprised by the speaking/listening level she has achieved without ever visiting an English speaking country.

She needs to pass a Level 2 Exam in September so that she can go as a student to Australia. Her main concerns are the two speaking tests: a 4 minute monologue, and a 2-3 minute dialogue.

All she wanted was a lot of chat sessions through August but hopefully I can do a bit better than that.

I can see that she needs to speak slower and with greater clarity. The faster she speaks the more her strong Andaluz accent comes into play.

She has the often heard issue with the pronunciation of 'ed' endings.

Beyond thoughts and suggestions can anyone point me to any examples of such monologues and dialogues? I've tried searching but no luck so far.

Another concern I have is that the dialogue involves another student who is not at her level. Does anyone know how exam centres handle this issue? Surely a meaningful dialogue needs two players of a similar level?

As someone very knew to this I'd really appreciate any guidance. Cheers

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Just in case anyone visits here with the same problems I have found some useful stuff by Marek Connell on YouTube and by including podcast in my Google search a lot more material.

As for the teaching I’m at first concentrating on the following:

Four minutes is a long time so:

1. control words per minute
  2. have a three-part structure: intro, detailed middle, summary
  3. use some stock phrases (padding if you like).

But any thoughts would be well received.

ps Client booked 10 one hour lessons :cool:

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.