Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi everyone,

Probably my question is quite difficult because native speakers rarely think about the things I'm wondering about, but for me as a learner it's really necessary to understand all this in ordrer to sound natural.

Imagine I were standing near the place intended for leaving a bicycle before going to the park. A person approaches me by bicycle and ask where he can leave it. Showing the right place I say:

"Please leave it here"
"Please leave it right here"
"Please leave it over here"

Which option is correct and what do "right" and "over" add to the location of the place that I'm pointing at with my hand when answering the question?

If the place for leaving bicycles were not near me, but a bit farther (visible, though) would I need say

"Please leave it there"
"Please leave it right there"
"Please leave it over there"

I really appreciate your help

Best

Hi everyone,

Probably my question is quite difficult because native speakers rarely think about the things I'm wondering about, but for me as a learner it's really necessary to understand all this in ordrer to sound natural.

Imagine I were standing near the place intended for leaving a bicycle before going to the park. A person approaches me by bicycle and ask where he can leave it. Showing the right place I say:

"Please leave it here" In the example(s) you used, you would not usually use "please" unless you were in charge of/responsible for the parking area. You could say, in your example, "You may leave it/park it here".
"Please leave it right here" "You may leave it/park it right here" (in the immediate area of where you are).
"Please leave it over here" "You may leave it/park it over here". (if the person is some distance from you and the parking area is where you are.)

Which option is correct and what do "right" and "over" add to the location of the place that I'm pointing at with my hand when answering the question?

If the place for leaving bicycles were not near me, but a bit farther (visible, though) would I need say

"Please leave it there" (If you would indicate the location.)
"Please leave it right there" (Where the person was located at the time.)
"Please leave it over there" ( At some distance from you.)

I really appreciate your help

Best

b.

"Please leave it
there" (If you would indicate the location.)
"Please leave it over there" ( At some distance from you.)

What if I were speaking about a place far from me where the person was located at the time? In this case we can say either "right there" or "over there", can't we? By the way "there" also suits because it's the most neutral. So are they interchangeable sometimes?

"Please leave it over there" (At some distance from you.)

What if I were speaking about a place far from me where the person was located at the time? In this case we can say either "right there" or "over there", can't we? By the way "there" also suits because it's the most neutral. So are they interchangeable sometimes?
No. Look again at what billmcd wrote. In the words I have coloured blue, there is no real indication whether 'there' is close to or far from the speaker. In the words I have coloured green, this is clear.

Is there any difference between "It's right there" and "It's right up there"?

"Up" would (usually) mean above where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back