[Grammar] How accurate is grammarly's scroe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iambozdar

Member Type
Native Language
Baluchi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I wanted to know how accurate Grammarly's score is, so I wrote a few paragraphs to determine my writing skills level.

Paragraph 1:

I know the concepts and developed a chatbot using IBM Watson. It was able to answer questions in multiple languages based on various vocabulary datasets. I can leverage the power of Ml.Net, PyTorch, and Scikit-learn to clean the data, use datasets in CSV format, split datasets into training and test sets. I also did some Azure courses on edX.

Grammarly Feedback: Great job! Your text scores 100 out of 100. Your text is likely to be understood by a reader who has at least a 9th-grade education (age 15). Aim for the score of at least 60-70 to ensure your text is easily readable by 80% of English speakers.

Paragraph 2:

To improve my programming skills, I have started 2020 with 100 days of code challenge. Today is the 12th day, and it has started shapping my skills. I have also registered on codewars.com and projecteuler.net to practice computer science and mathematics together.
I have taken both websites a little slowly because I do not want to be derailed. It is better to solve one problem at a time rather than hang on there for hours. I am also working toward my MongoDB certification which is also a kind of challenge. I hope that everything will go good during these 100 days of code.

Grammarly Feedback: Text score: 88 out of 100. Your text is likely to be understood by a reader who has at least an 8th-grade education (age 13-14) and should be fairly easy for most adults to read.

I request forum members to share your feedback, so I can improve accordingly. Please also recommend if I buy Grammarly subscription or not?

Many thanks for the time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you using Grammarly to tell you if your writing is clear and understandable? (I would never do that.)

Grammarly doesn't know who you are writing for. And it can't even catch obvious spelling mistakes.

If you have something with a lot of tech jargon in it a lot of people will have trouble understanding it. It doesn't matter what Grammarly says.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm really not a fan of Grammarly.

The scoring system is silly, in my opinion. (Not that I understand how it works.)

iambozdar

Member Type
Native Language
Baluchi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
If you have something with a lot of tech jargon in it a lot of people will have trouble understanding it.

How to write for tech without tech jargon, then?

iambozdar

Member Type
Native Language
Baluchi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
The scoring system is silly, in my opinion. (Not that I understand how it works.)

What's your feedback on above two paragraphs? How do you rate grammar, coherence, and cohesion?

Thanks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't say you could write for tech without using tech jargon. Grammarly says anybody with a ninth grade education can understand it. Grammarly is wrong!

This is feedback.

(The "Thank" button is in the bottom left hand corner of the post.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first sentence of the second text needs correcting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first sentence of the second text needs correcting.

The one that starts "To improve my programming skills"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What's your feedback on above two paragraphs? How do you rate grammar, coherence, and cohesion?

I won't rate it, but I'll offer some feedback.

Paragraph 1

Grammar: No errors.

Coherence: It's not too easy to say since the paragraph is out of context of the whole discourse and it uses technical vocab that I'm not familiar with. It seems fine.

Cohesion: I think an and before split will help the reader a lot. I had to read the sentence three times before I was sure I understood.

Paragraph 2

Grammar: There's an issue in the first sentence, i.e., the phrase 100 days of code challenge. The reader asks what 'code challenge' is and how one might have a hundred days of it. Is there a missing article there (100 days of a code challenge or 100 days of code challenges or a '100 days of code' challenge)? I can't be sure because I don't know which of those you mean—I guess the latter. The phrase go good is ungrammatical—it should be go well.

Coherence: The incorrect phrase hang on there is distracting.

Cohesion: The reference of it in the second sentence (the one with the spelling error shapping) is not completely clear due to the error in the first sentence.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Use it as a tool, but don't expect perfection. It may help. No language tools have achieved much more than that yet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How to write for tech without tech jargon, then?

Try imagining your audience as a tech-interested, but not all-in, readership.

Status
Not open for further replies.