[Vocabulary] how to make an indirect statment of something that involves "may" when you pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
how to make an indirect statment of something that involves "may" when you pray

How to make an indirect statement of a sentence that involves "may" when you pray for someone.

He said to Stacy, "may you get well soon."
I said to John, "may you get married soon."
She said to me, "may you do well on your exams."

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: how to make an indirect statment of something that involves "may" when you pray

Note that you need an initial capital letter for each sentence enclosed in quotes.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Re: how to make an indirect statment of something that involves "may" when you pray

Note that you need an initial capital letter for each sentence enclosed in quotes.

So if I capitalize the initial letter then I should also replace the comma with a full stop.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

None of this is particularly natural.

We are more likely to say (I hope you) get well soon or, more formally, I wish you a speedy recovery for the first, and Good luck in your exams​ for the third. British people do not normally express the second thought.

Thanks Piscean for suggesting alternative phrases. Now do you people don't use those wishes that start with "may" at all or you don't use them in the context I mentioned above?

Don't you people express wishes like "May you live long".?

And if you do, then how would you change it into an indirect statment?

Mary said to John. "May you live long."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

So if I capitalize the initial letter then I should also replace the comma with a full stop.

No. The comma is correct. A complete sentence in quotes is treated as a complete sentence in its own right.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

Now do you people don't use those wishes that start with "may" at all or you don't use them in the context I mentioned above?

Don't you people express wishes like "May you live long".?

I don't think you should refer to native English speakers as "you people". Some may consider expressions like the ones I've highlighted to be somewhat arrogant and offensive.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks Piscean for suggesting alternative phrases. Now do you people don't use those wishes that start with "may" at all or you don't use them in the context I mentioned above?

It's used rarely in AmE, and then only in very formal situations. I remember using that formula once in a wedding ceremony thirty-some years ago; I doubt I've used it since.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

This usage of may for blessings is often used in popular song lyrics, of which I can think of many examples, not many more sublime than Forever Young by Bob Dylan:

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

I don't think you should refer to native English speakers as "you people". Some may consider expressions like the ones I've highlighted to be somewhat arrogant and offensive.

I have been told by one of the respected moderators of this forum to use "you people" instead of "you guys". Don't make me run out of phrases.

Last edited:

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

It's used rarely in AmE, and then only in very formal situations

Now, since it has been established that more or less it is used in very formal situations or songs. And let me confirm it is still used very often in Indian English. we used it quite often in Pakistan as well especially in formal written English. Now can anyone would tell me how to make an indirect statement of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

I have been told by one of the respected moderators of this forum to use "you people" instead of "you guys". Don't make me run out of phrases.

You don't have to use either; nobody else does. Just look at other questions and you'll get some idea of how to ask questions in a courteous manner without resorting to impolite forms of address such as "you guys" or "you people".

And it's please don't make me run out of phrases.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

I didn't chose "you people" myself, It was suggested by one of the respected moderators. And everybody on this forum is respectable for me including you and everybody else and I don't have any intention to be discourteous to anyone. I have a great deal of respect and love for all these people who answer our questions and give us an opportunity to learn from them, so why would I be discourteous to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Let's not get bogged down in this. It's very simple - just say "you".

What do you people say when ...? :cross:
What do you say when ...? :tick:
What do you guys say when ...? :cross
What do you lot say when ...? :cross:

Note that the sentences with an :cross: are not grammatically incorrect - I'm just suggesting that you stop using them on the forum.

"I would like to thank you people/guys" is simply better as "I would like to thank you" or "I would like to thank you all".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

They said to Aamir, "May you get the answers to your questions."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Also note that "How to make an indirect statement of a sentence that involves 'may' when you pray for someone?" is not a correctly formed question. There are no questions in standard English that start with "How to".

Status
Not open for further replies.