I’ve always dreamed of being an English language teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Could you please check the following sentences?

I’ve always dreamed of being an English language teacher. Although it is a complicated language, and it is full of exceptions, and there are almost no absolute rules in it, it is live, logical and scientific, along with being an international language.

J

J&K Tutoring

It's more or less okay as-is, though rather long. You might consider deleting some parts that say about the same thing, such as "full of exceptions/no absolute rules".

I'm also not sure if "complicated", "full of exceptions", and "no absolute rules" belong in the same sentence with "logical and scientific"!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know what you mean by 'scientific' but it's not the correct word.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
I don't know what you mean by 'scientific' but it's not the correct word.
My English teacher believes that when something new is discovered or invented, it is the English terms that can only describe that new technology or science. That's why he says us English is a scientific language. He says that only this language is capable of defining anything new in the area of medicine, computer, chemistry, etc. For example, SMS, short message system/service. He also believes that this language can explain the use of that technology within its terms.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your teacher is making an interesting point, but only up to a point. There might be a lot of English computer-ese acronyms. But overall, Latin and Greek have contributed a lot more to scientific language than English. For instance, Google Latin Greek science terms.

And I question the idea that only English "can explain the use of that technology within its terms." All languages use their own terms to explain anything. That's what makes them languages. If we use words rooted Latin or Greek, it's still English. And if English got rid of its adopted words, there wouldn't be much left!

Last edited:

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
All languages use their own terms to explain anything.
It can't be true about my language. When something new is discovered my language is lacking in having an equivalent term to describe that new technology. But, it is not true about English. English can explain anything and anything new.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wouldn't describe English as logical, either.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do you think I should remove the word "scientific"?

Well, I didn't at first understand what you meant to say. I take it now you mean to say that English is the international language of science. Maybe you should find another way to express this idea more clearly.

The adjective scientific is normally used to describe the methods of science.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wouldn't describe English as logical, either.

It really depends on what one understands by the word logical, of course. In a certain sense, language is by its very nature logical. English has its own logic, but then so do all languages.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I’ve always dreamed of being an English language teacher. Although it is a complicated language, and it is full of exceptions, and there are almost no absolute rules in it, it is live, logical and scientific, along with being an international language.
No-one will misunderstand what you're trying to say, but it has no clear antecedent in these sentences. I'd replace the first it with English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My English teacher believes that when something new is discovered or invented, it is the English terms that can only describe that new technology or science. That's why he says us English is a scientific language.

Perhaps:

My English teacher believes that when something new is invented it is only English that can describe that new technology or science. That's why he tells us that English is a scientific language.
:up:

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
I’ve always dreamed of being an English language teacher. Although English is a complicated language, and it is full of exceptions, and there are almost no absolute rules in it, it is live, logical and scientific, along with being an international language.
May I ask if I can remove the first "and" or is it comma splice?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't remove the first and.

Status