I am social person with a friendly nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I am social person with a friendly nature. I value friendship but when friends (being rude to me/get nasty?), I walk away. Also, I am a hard-work person, determined to having successful career, and the type of person who thrives under pressure. I love working in groups and I put aside the personal gain for the benefit of the group. I am interested in discovering how things work and find the easiest way to do them. Life taught me that if I want to succeed, I had better let go of the past and move on embracing the future. My masters encourages me to take up the challenge of PhD, and I will be happy if it opens a new horizon for my filed and bring my expertise into classrooms and serve people in much need.

Would such a description serve us well? Is it clear for the reader?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am ​a [STRIKE]social[/STRIKE] sociable person with a friendly nature. I value friendship but when friends [STRIKE](being[/STRIKE] are rude/nasty to me [STRIKE]/get nasty?)[/STRIKE], I walk away. Also, I am a hard-working person, determined to [STRIKE]having[/STRIKE] have a successful career, and [STRIKE]the type of person who[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]thrives[/STRIKE] thrive under pressure. I love working in groups and I put aside [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] any personal gain for the benefit of the group. I am interested in discovering how things work and in finding the easiest way to do them. Life taught me that if I want to succeed, I [STRIKE]had better[/STRIKE] must let go of the past and move on, embracing the future. My Masters encourages me to take up the challenge of a PhD, and I will be happy if it opens up [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] new horizons [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] in my [STRIKE]filed[/STRIKE] field, [strike]and[/strike] so that I can bring my expertise into classrooms and serve people in [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] need.

Would such a description serve us well? Who does "us" refer to?

Is it clear for the reader? With my corrections and changes, it's grammatical. I'm not sure it's clear though. What exactly are you applying for?

See above.

There doesn't seem to be much connection between a lot of the statements. Is this for a CV? Is it for a PhD application?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
We Arabs learners write a personal statement for a PhD application. We first write Arabic, and then translate to English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We [strike]Arabs[/strike] Arab learners write a personal statement for a PhD application. We first write it in Arabic, and then translate it to English.

I was wondering how appropriate the part about being a sociable person was, but if it's for a personal statement, it's probably OK.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am interested in discovering how things work and in finding the easiest way to do them.

It is not clear what you mean by "do them".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Just say: I am interested in discovering how things work and in finding the easiest way to fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.