I can introduce clients to my friends....

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Again, Hook and me were chitchatting about Silver's future.

Silver: I've already told my students and their parents that I would stop tutoring them.
Hook: I respect your decision! As long as you're happy.
Silver: I want to use this year to relax and travel.
Hook: That's a good idea. But, what will you do after your travelling?
Silver: I can introduce clients to my friends and get commission. I might be a sales.

Explanation of the italic sentence: Many of friends of Hook and I are teaching English, they are either self-employed or working in a language school. If someone who wants to study, say, the TOEFL test, I can introduce this so-and-so to a friend of mine who got 119 in his TOEFL test, then this 119-TOEFL friend would give me a 15% commission. This sounds like a good job.

Please help me with a natural sentence of the italic one.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I might be a sales.

This means nothing to me. Can you try to express your meaning in other words?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I might be a sales.

This means nothing to me. Can you try to express your meaning in other words?
I think "I might work as a salesperson" is perfectly natural. Are the whole italic sentences natural now?

I can introduce clients to my friends and get commission. I might work as a salesperson.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "I might work as a salesperson" is perfectly natural. Are the whole italic sentences natural now?

I can introduce clients to my friends and get commissionS. I might work as a salesperson.
I'm not sure what you mean by "might" there.

Can you get commissions just by introducing people, or do you have to make sales?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can you get commissions just by introducing people, or do you have to make sales?
Just introduce people to my friends.

Might means I perhaps work as a salesperson because I can find some other jobs if I don’t want to work as a salesperson.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "because" doesn't work there.

Perhaps:

Maybe I will work as a salesperson, but I can find some other jobs if I don't want to work as a salesperson.

I'm not sure that's what you're trying to say.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Maybe I will work as a salesperson, but I can find some other jobs if I don't want to work as a salesperson.
Yes, but I still want the first part because that’s what I want to say.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh. OK. Perhaps:

I can introduce clients to my friends and get commissions for that. I might also want to be a salesperson.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Again, Hook and me I were chitchatting about Silver's my future.
Silver: I can introduce clients to my friends other tutors and get a commission. I might be I suppose it's like a sales job.

Explanation of the italic sentence: Many of friends of Hook and I have many friends who are teaching English. They are either self-employed or working in a language school. If someone who wants to study or, say, prepare for the TOEFL test, I can introduce this so-and-so * them to a friend of mine who got 119 in his TOEFL test, then this 119-TOEFL friend would give me a 15% commission. This sounds like a good job.

Please help me with a natural sentence of make the italic sentence natural. one.
Note that "so-and-so" is used when you don't know (or don't want to mention) a particular person's name, or if you have a low opinion of them.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note that "so-and-so" is used when you don't know (or don't want to mention) a particular person's name, or if you have a low opinion of them.
Much appreciated.

But the second sentence is inteneded to mean that "If I don't work as a someone who introduces clients to other tutors, I might work as a salesperson". I think "I suppose it's like a sales job" means how I consider referring clients to other tutors instead of telling my friend what I might do in the future. Am I right?

I also wonder if "make .... natural" is correct. I never doubt you, teechar, but doesn't "make" involve "human labor", like "make a cake". And if I want to say sentence, I should "write a sentence"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But the second sentence is inteneded intended to mean that "If I don't work as a someone who introduces clients to other tutors, I might work as a salesperson".
Then say:
Silver: I can introduce clients to my friends other tutors and get commission, or I might be get a sales job.

I think "I suppose it's like a sales job" means how I consider referring clients to other tutors instead of telling my friend what I might do in the future. Am I right?
I have no idea what that means, but see above!
I also wonder if "make .... natural" is correct.
Yes, it's correct.
I never doubt you, teechar, but doesn't "make" involve "human labor", like "make a cake".
"Make" does not necessarily involve human labour, and even if you think it does, making a sentence natural surely involves our "labour"/effort, doesn't it?
And if I want to say sentence, I should "write a sentence"?
I don't understand what you mean.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot for your corrections, teechar.

I can introduce clients to other tutors and get commission, or I get a sales job.

I can introduce clients to other tutors and get a commission.
The above are both your corrections. I wonder if "get a commission" and "get commission" are both natural.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, both work, but I prefer the former.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, Hook and me were chitchatting about Silver's future.

Silver: I've already told my students and their parents that I would stop tutoring them.
Hook: I respect your decision! As long as you're happy.
Hook: That's a good idea. But, what will you do after your travelling?
Silver: I can introduce clients to my friends and get commission. I might be a sales.

Explanation of the italic sentence: Many of friends of Hook and I are teaching English, they are either self-employed or working in a language school. If someone who wants to study, say, the TOEFL test, I can introduce this so-and-so to a friend of mine who got 119 in his TOEFL test, then this 119-TOEFL friend would give me a 15% commission. This sounds like a good job.

Please help me with a natural sentence of the italic one.
Say:

Hook and I were talking about my future.

Are you in the habit of talking about yourself in the third person?

Try:

I've already told my students and their parents that I won't be tutoring them anymore.

Try:

Hook: That's a good idea, but what do you do after that?

Say:

Many of our friends are English teachers. They are either self-employed or work at a language school.

Say:

If someone wants to study, for example, in preparation for the TOEFL test, I p an introduce this person to someone who got 119 on his TOEFL test, then that person would give me a 15% commission. It seems like a good job.

I have no idea what that 15% would be based on, but it would have to be based on something.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel