I didn't want to do that and then the following day something happens.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Snopes transcribed the context of Trump's remarks. The bolded portion was not included in the video clips that were shared on X:

... the Trump travel ban, which really kept us safe. You know, when I was there four years, I wanted to talk so much. We had no terrorism. We had no attacks. We had nothing. And I want... we had the Trump travel ban. We call it the terror ban, right? We wanted to stop terror from coming into our country. But I couldn't talk about it because I didn't want to do that and then the following day something happens. So I went four years keeping my mouth shut on that particular subject. But now I talk about it all the time. We had no attacks. We didn't have a World Trade Center. We didn't have the attacks like you've seen and certainly that you see in other countries. And by the way now we're getting involved again in the Middle East. Look what's happening. You're getting involved... here we go again with the Middle East.
Source: Snopes

Does "I didn't want to do that and then the following day something happens" mean "I didn't want to talk about it ("it" refers to the measure/the ban to stop terror from coming into our country) and then the following day something happens.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I can tell, it means "I didn't want to talk about it".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
His travel ban. He didn't want to say "I put this ban in place and no terror attacks have happened." Because then he would jinx himself and a terror attack would happen.