Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

A friend of mine sent me a compilation of some IELTS questions about spoken English. There are more than 50 topics (a few hundred questions) there. I took a look at most of them and I was surprised to see some of them questions which are very very difficult. I bet many people have never thought about them even in Chinese. I then said this to myself:

I don’t even have the faintest idea how to answer them in Chinese, let alone in English.

I think my sentence is perfect to mean those questions are difficult. And it’s perfectly natural and grammatical. Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A friend of mine sent me a compilation of some IELTS questions about spoken English. There are more than 50 topics (a few hundred questions). there. I took a look at most of them and I was surprised to see that some of them the questions which are very, very difficult. I bet many people have never thought about them, even in Chinese. I then said this to myself thought:

I don’t even have the faintest idea how to answer them in Chinese, let alone in English.

I think my sentence is perfect to mean those questions are difficult, and it’s perfectly natural and grammatical. Am I right?
Your sentence is OK. I found the combination of "even" and "have the faintest idea" a little unusual though. I'd probably just go with "I don't even know ...".

A few points, based on the changes I've made to your last two or three threads:
1) You overuse "then".
2) You overuse "there".
3) You need to work on your use of "that" and "which".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The focus of the modifier even should be on in Chinese, so I'd reposition it (see below) and make the whole sentence conditional (wouldn't instead of don't):

I wouldn’t have the faintest idea how to answer them even in Chinese, let alone in English.

It's like saying 'Even in Chinese, I wouldn't be able to answer these questions'.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Silverobama
I'm curious. Could you post one of the questions?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
微信图片_20240116083648.png
微信图片_20240116083656.png

Sure, more than one question. And you can see what they said in Chinese. The first picture has nothing to do with my question while the second has to do with my question in another thread here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This device has a small screen. I need stuff to be mobile-friendly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can use it even on computer.
Tarheel doesn't have a computer, as far as I know, but uses this forum exclusively on a mobile.

@Tarheel - Unless you've suddenly learned how to read Chinese, you're not missing anything. The screenshot that was posted was all in Chinese!

@Silverobama - I have a feeling that Tarheel was asking for an example of a question you can't answer in Chinese or English!