"I don't know what kinds of insurance policies all these people have" or "I don't kno

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I don't know what kinds of insurance policies all these people have" or "I don't kno

What should I say "I don't know what kinds of insurance policies all these people have" or "I don't know what kind of policies all these people have"?

Do we use "Kinds" with plural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "I don't know what kinds of insurance policies all these people have" or "I don't

[STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] Should I say "I don't know what kinds of insurance policies all these people have" or "I don't know what kind of insurance policies all these people have"?

Do we use "kinds" with plurals?

If you think all those people have the same kind of policy (you just don't know what it is), then "kind" is fine. If you think they have different policies (I don't mean each person has a different one from everyone else; I just mean that there are several different kinds amongst them), then use "kinds".

Don't open with "What should I say" and then continue the sentence with examples. "What should I say?" is a standalone question. Open with "Should I say", follow it with the examples, and keep the question mark at the end. If you want to open with a "Wh-" word, start with "Which of the following should I say?" and then give us the options as a numbered list.

Status
Not open for further replies.