Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello! I would like to ask which one is more correct in this context. "I'm not talking to trash" or "I don't talk to trash"

I was watching two of my friends play a video game. They were having some banter like they usually do and when one of them lost he said "Nah, you just got lucky. You're not even that good."
To which my other friend responded: "Sorry, but I'm not talking to trash."

I'm not sure if "I'm not talking to trash" here is correct and I feel like "I don't talk to trash" would be more correct, but I'm not entirely sure about this. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello! I would like to ask which one is more correct in this context. "I'm not talking to trash" or "I don't talk to trash"

I was watching two of my friends play a video game. They were having some banter like they usually do and when one of them lost he said "Nah, you just got lucky. You're not even that good."
To which my other friend responded: "Sorry, but I'm not talking to trash."

I'm not sure if "I'm not talking to trash" here is correct and I feel like "I don't talk to trash" would be more correct, but I'm not entirely sure about this. Can someone help me? [..........]
"I don't talk to trash" does seem to be more appropriate. In any case, most people would take that as an insult.

In American English we might say the complainer is a "sore loser".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure if "I'm not talking to trash" here is correct

Yes, it's correct. The present continuous means he's talking about that particular occasion. He refuses to talk to trash at that time.

and I feel like "I don't talk to trash" would be more correct,

No, it's not any better or worse. The present simple means that he always refuses to talk to trash.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, yes. The speaker could have used the present simple version, but it isn't "more correct". The two versions have different meanings.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you certain your friend meant 'talking TO trash", or did he mean to say "talk trash"?

To 'talk trash' means to say insulting things to another person, especially in the context of a game, contest, or competition. While it can get mean-spirited, it's often meant in a jesting or playful manner, and typically involves insulting their ability to play or perform.

'Talk to trash' is a way of calling someone 'trash' (noun definition #2) , which is a direct insult about the kind of person they are, rather than their ability. It's like calling them 'scum' or 'lowlife'.

Granted, both phrases work in the context you're describing, but I'm curious if the one friend was calling the other trash, or if he just didn't want to engage in trash talk. Of course, calling someone 'trash' is a form of talking trash, so the lines are a bit blurred here. The kind of banter you describe is a prime example of 'talking trash'. :D

Here's an example of using 'trash' as a direct insult, and not in a playful or jesting manner.

Yb167

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Are you certain your friend meant 'talking TO trash", or did he mean to say "talk trash"?

To 'talk trash' means to say insulting things to another person, especially in the context of a game, contest, or competition. While it can get mean-spirited, it's often meant in a jesting or playful manner, and typically involves insulting their ability to play or perform.

'Talk to trash' is a way of calling someone 'trash' (noun definition #2) , which is a direct insult about the kind of person they are, rather than their ability. It's like calling them 'scum' or 'lowlife'.

Granted, both phrases work in the context you're describing, but I'm curious if the one friend was calling the other trash, or if he just didn't want to engage in trash talk. Of course, calling someone 'trash' is a form of talking trash, so the lines are a bit blurred here. The kind of banter you describe is a prime example of 'talking trash'. :D

Here's an example of using 'trash' as a direct insult, and not in a playful or jesting manner.
Yes! My friend called my other friend trash after beating him easily in the first round of their match.😅 I think he was just trying to sound insulting which is why he said "trash". They always engage in banter every time they play and we all find it funny.