I forget his name. = I don't remember his name. (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
"Forget" is the opposite of "remember", right? Is it natural to say "I forget his name" instead of "I don't remember his name", for example? The thing is, in Russian we would rather say "I've forgotten" ("Я забыл")... What about English?

I forget his name. = I don't remember his name. Is this right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either sentence works in American English.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
It's common in conversational American English to say "I forget" when the intended meaning is "I have forgotten" or "I forgot". This doesn't work in all cases when the verb "forget" is used, and it also does not work with most verbs.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's common in conversational American English to say "I forget" when the intended meaning is "I have forgotten" or "I forgot".

The same goes for conversational British English

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's common in conversational American English to say "I forget" when the intended meaning is "I have forgotten" or "I forgot".

Another way to look at this, which avoids relegating this use of "forget" to conversational English (a categorization which makes it sound as if this way of speaking were inferior, though tolerated in certain dialects), is to see that "forget" can be used with stative meaning or with dynamic meaning, just as "remember" can. Each use has a different meaning for both verbs.

(1a) stative: I remember his name. It is John.
(1b) dynamic: I have just remembered his name. It is John.

(2a) stative: I forget his name. Do you know what it is?
(2b) dynamic: I forget his name all the time. I'm going to have to write it down.

In their dynamic use, "remember" indicates the emergence of a piece of information in one's memory bank, and "forget" that a piece of information has left one's memory bank. In their stative use, "remember" indicates that a piece of information is present in one's memory bank, and "forget" that a piece of information is absent from it (with the implication that it was there before).

Status
Not open for further replies.