Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello! While I was looking up the expressions, I had doubts about the use of one stable phrase. "I have confession to make" I couldn't find an explanation for this phrase in the dictionary, so I want to ask you. I need to say "I have a confession to make" or I can just say "Make a confession"? In the texts, I saw that after "I must make a confession" a full stop is put. Is it possible to say some kind of preposition after this phrase? For example: "I must make a confession of smth"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Are you really a native speaker of Russian?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have a confession to make.

If you want to use the verb confess, use the preposition to or the linker that after it:

to confess to [an act]
to confess to [somebody]
to confess that [declaration]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello! Unnecessary

While I was looking up the some expressions, I had doubts about the use of one stable the set phrase no full stop here "I have a confession to make".

I couldn't find an explanation for this phrase in the dictionary, so I want to ask you about it. What sort of "explanation" were you looking for?

Do I need to say "I have a confession to make" or can I can just say "Make a confession"? Note the correct way to construct a question.

In the texts, (What texts? Please provide the source and author and links) I saw that after "I must make a confession", we use a full stop. is put.

Is it possible to say use some kind of preposition after this phrase? For example, "I must make a confession of smth something"?

towcats1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I always recommend to my friends to ask their questions on this website. I didn't ask this question by myself but I didn't find any mistakes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I always recommend to my friends to that they ask their questions on this website. What have your friends got to do with this?

I didn't ask this question by myself but I didn't find any mistakes. You certainly did ask the question yourself - it's right there in post #1 with your username on it!
I don't understand any of this. You haven't answered either question in post #4.

towcats1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have a confession to make.

If you want to use the verb confess, use the preposition to or the linker that after it:

to confess to [an act]
to confess to [somebody]
to confess that [declaration]
I don't want to use the verb. I want to use the preposition after the noun. Is it possible to use the preposition "of" after the noun "confession"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it possible to use the preposition "of" after the noun "confession"

It's possible in some contexts, yes. It depends what you mean, of course.

For example: "I must make a confession of smth"?

Not in this context, though. You probably mean I must confess to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.