Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was talking with someone and got call from my friend. I said "Excuse me I have a phone call." Something tells me a native speaker wouldn't say it this way.
Is it more natural drop 'phone' and just say 'I have a call'? I'd also like to know what a native speaker would say in this situation.

I've also heard "Excuse me. I gotta/ have to take this." I'm aware that you can only say it when the listener knows that someone is calling you and obviously not when your phone is on silent/ vibration. But can it be used in formal settings?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While I was talking with someone, and I got a call from my friend. I said "Excuse me, I have a phone call." Something tells me a native speaker wouldn't say it this way.
Is it more natural to drop 'phone' and just say 'I have a call'? I'd also like to know what a native speaker would say in this situation.

I've also heard "Excuse me. I gotta I've got to/have to take this." I'm aware that you can only say it when the listener knows that someone is calling you and obviously not when your phone is on silent/vibrate no comma here but can it be used in formal settings?

It depends on whether you're talking to the first person on the phone or in person. If you're on the phone to them, you'd say "Sorry. I've got another call and I've got to take it". If you're talking to them in person (and you can both hear your phone ringing), you'd look at your phone to see who's calling and then say "Sorry. I've got to take this".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could add Do you mind? to be polite.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It depends on whether you're talking to the first person on the phone or in person. If you're on the phone to them, you'd say "Sorry. I've got another call and I've got to take it". If you're talking to them in person (and you can both hear your phone ringing), you'd look at your phone to see who's calling and then say "Sorry. I've got to take this".
Thank you for the answer. What if I'm talking with someone online and I get a phone call? Is it necessary to mention 'phone' or can I just say "Hey can you hold on a sec? I've got a call"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the answer. What if I'm talking with someone online and I get a phone call? Is it necessary to mention 'phone' or can I just say "Hey, can you hold on a sec? I've got a call"?

You don't need "phone".

Status
Not open for further replies.