Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What does "unless otherwise specified" mean in this explanation? Does it mean that the present perfect continuous can refer to a recently finished action and that it can be used if the action is no longer in progress? For example, "I have been studying for two years. Today is the last day of my course." (I already had the last class or I am going to have it later.) I am saying this while it's still the day, but in the evening I say "I studied English for two years".
I have been studying the difference between present perfect and present perfect continuous. I have saved a few screenshots, but I can't find the website this screenshot was taken from. I can't share the link. Sorry.

IMG_20210717_115846.jpg

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The present perfect (simple and continuous) connects the past and now. It may or may not include the time of speaking (the present). Remember that sentences are normally said/written in a context, and that context/scenario usually clarifies whether the present is included or not.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're wondering what "unless otherwise specified" means.

It means that additional information might change the time frame. For instance:

She's been studying English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it.

That is grammatical even though she is no longer studying English. That's why your book says "unless otherwise specified."

So, as Teechar says, the context matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You're wondering what "unless otherwise specified" means.

It means that additional information might change the time frame. For instance:

She's been studying English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it.

That is grammatical even though she is no longer studying English. That's why your book says "unless otherwise specified."

So, as Teechar says, the context matters.

I didn't know that present perfect continuous can be used there. I mean in your sentence: "She's been studying English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it." So it doesn't have to be a very recent action that was in progress. Right? As in, "I have been jogging. That's why I am tired."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is usually fairly recent, but it doesn't have to be.

I recently wrote to my daughter I have been driving for 58 years, but I think it's time for me to stop. I shan't be renewing my driving licence.

I last drove in November 2019.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It is usually fairly recent, but it doesn't have to be.

I recently wrote to my daughter I have been driving for 58 years, but I think it's time for me to stop. I shan't be renewing my driving licence.

I last drove in November 2019.

Oh, thanks! Again it's not mentioned in my textbooks. Can the present perfect also be used in your sentence and in this example: "She's been studying English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it."
I mean to express the same idea which is expressed in both sentences with the present perfect continuous.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The non-progressive form can be used in both sentences, but they don't suggest exactly the same thought as the progressive form.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Context and common sense will tell you the difference between "I've been driving for 58 years" and "I've been driving for an hour".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't know that present perfect continuous can be used there. I mean in your sentence: "She's been studying English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it." So it doesn't have to be a very recent action that was in progress. Right? As in, "I have been jogging. That's why I am tired."
Yes. That's a great example!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The non-progressive form can be used in both sentences, but they don't suggest exactly the same thought as the progressive form.

The difference is that the progressive is focused on duration, while the non-progressive, present perfect implies that the action started and is in progress. Is that right or are there any other differences?

1. "She's been studying English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it."

2. "She has studied English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it."

3. "I have driven (instead of "I have been driving) for 58 years, but I think it's time for me to stop. I shan't be renewing my driving licence."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The progressive forms of all tenses always convey some idea of the duration of the situatio rnseferred to.

The perfect forms of any tense/aspect always have an element of retrospection, looking back at some earlier time period from the standpoint of a later one.

The situation referred to by both progressive and non-progressive forms of the perfect may continue up to the later time-point, but they may not.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The progressive forms of all tenses always convey some idea of the duration of the situation referred to.

The perfect forms of any tense/aspect always have an element of retrospection, looking back at some earlier time period from the standpoint of a later one.

The situation referred to by both progressive and non-progressive forms of the perfect may continue up to the later time-point, but they may not.

Which is more likely to be used by a native speaker, or does it again depend on what he wants to focus on? The duration with the present perfect continuous or the present perfect with retrospection?

2. "She has studied English for two years, but last week she moved to another school where they don't teach it."

3. "I have driven (instead of "I have been driving) for 58 years, but I think it's time for me to stop. I shan't be renewing my driving licence."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which is more likely to be used by a native speaker, or does it again depend on what he wants to focus on?
There is often no conscious decision to focus on anything. The words we utter depend on the way we view at situation at the precise moment we utter them.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
There is often no conscious decision to focus on anything. The words we utter depend on the way we view at situation at the precise moment we utter them.

I see. Thank you.
I accidentally unsubscribed from this thread. :shock:Could you tell me how to subscribe to it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry. I have no idea.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

But sometimes either is wrong. "I have been working/I have worked in this office for 20 years" if I say that while literary leaving the building to mean that I am not coming back and these are my last minutes at the office, that would be wrong. If I use either in "I have been living in this house/I have lived in this house for 20 years" while leaving my house forever, talking about the last minutes I am spending there, it would be also wrong. But in your example about driving a car either is correct and even it doesn't have to be a very recent action. (Thanks again. That explanation is a treasure for anyone who is studying grammar)
Could you please explain why it is so?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But sometimes either is wrong. "I have been working/I have worked in this office for 20 years" if I say that while literally leaving the building to mean that I am not coming back and these are my last minutes at the office, that would be wrong.
The words in themselves don't mean that the speaker is not coming back, but they could be used in that context.

If I use either in "I have been living in this house/I have lived in this house for 20 years" while leaving my house forever, talking about the last minutes I am spending there, it would be also wrong.
Not necessarily.

As I (and others) have told you on more than one occasion, you are trying to read too much meaning into a single use of a tense/aspect in one isolated sentence. You would do much better to listen to and read as much English used by native speakers as you can. This, coupled with the 'rules' and guidelines you have already encountered, should give you a very good idea of how most speakers normally use the tenses and aspects. It will not always tell you why person A used tense/aspect X rather than tense/aspect Y in any particular situation.

The choice of tense/aspect is down to grammar as choice rather than grammar as fact.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The words in themselves don't mean that the speaker is not coming back, but they could be used in that context.

Not necessarily.

As I (and others), have told you on more than one occasion, you are trying to read too much meaning into a single use of a tense/aspect in one isolated sentence. You would do much better to listen to and read as much English used by native speakers as you can. This, coupled with the 'rules' and guidelines you have already encountered should five you a very good idea of how most speakers normally uses the tenses and aspects. It will not always tell you why person A used tense/aspect X rather than tense/aspect Y in any particular situation.

The choice of tense/aspect is a down to grammar as choice rather than grammar as fact.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I will try to get used to the new style of learning. I am so used to studying rules. Do I understand correctly in the situations I was asking about, in the previous post; "I have been working/I have worked in this office for 20 years" and "I have been living in this house/I have lived in this house for 20 years" while leaving those places forever I can use both present perfect continuous and present perfect but they don't usually mean what I am expressing in them. Is that right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I accidentally unsubscribed from this thread. :shock:Could you tell me how to subscribe to it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "subscribe". Have you been getting an email every time there's a response to one of your threads? If so, that must be filling your inbox up. To see threads that have new responses, click on Quick Links, then My Threads in the toolbar at the top. When the list of threads you've started appears, any with the title in bold have responses you haven't read yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.