[Grammar] I made my reservations last week, and the conference hotels are already full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a TOEIC test]

Woman: Have you made arrangements to attend the sates conference in London?

Man: Sort of. I've registered to attend the conference, but I haven't booked a room yet.

Woman: You should really do that soon. I made my reservations last week, and the conference hotels are already full. I'm staying several miles from the convention center.

Man: Well, if l can't get a hotel room, I’ll just stay with my brother in law. He has an apartment downtown.

[Source]
----
Why not "... and the conference hotels were already full"?

I think it this way: I made my reservations last week, and the conference hotels were already full. (So) I'm (now) staying several miles from the convention center.

Isn't this reasonable? Or maybe the woman means it this way?

I made my reservations last week, and the conference hotels are already full (so you have no room to stay now). I'm staying several miles from the convention center (even though I made my reservations last week, not to mention you).

[Updated]

Another possible answer is this:

The conference hotels were not full yet when the woman made her reservations. But for some reason she chose to stay several miles from the convention center. And now the conference hotels are already full.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, the expression is:

I see it this way ....

I suppose she could have said:

"I made my reservations last week, and the hotels were full then."

There are probably some things I haven't addressed.

(I wish you would make your posts shorter. They can be hard to follow.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[From a TOEIC test]

Woman: Have you made arrangements to attend the sates conference in London?

Man: Sort of. I've registered to attend the conference, but I haven't booked a room yet.

Woman: You should really do that soon. I made my reservations last week, and the conference hotels are already full. I'm staying several miles from the convention center.

Man: Well, if l can't get a hotel room, I’ll just stay with my brother in law. He has an apartment downtown.

[Source]

The link to the source is nothing more than a screenshot of the dialogue you already quoted.

What's being tested?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The link to the source is nothing more than a screenshot of the dialogue you already quoted.

What's being tested?
That is an answer page. The test questions are like these:

NYvpWQ6.jpg

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The situation affected her when she reserved her place, but she's letting her friend know how things are.

Status
Not open for further replies.