Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is a task from a Russian book on article usage called "The English Articles in Speech Situations" by Volkova E.I..

never.png

But my question is not about articles. I'd like to know whether the past simple is the best or the only correct choice in the sentence. There are numerous examples of I've never done this before on the internet. What should I take into account to make the correct/best choice?

Is it important whether this phrase is uttered before, during or after the action/event?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is a task from a Russian book on article usage called "The English Articles in Speech Situations" by Volkova E.I..

Uh-oh!

But my question is not about articles.

Whew! Thank God for that.

:)-D Only joking, of course. I welcome your questions about articles.)

Don't worry about the use of the past simple here. It's unnatural to me too. It's a distinctly American style to use past simple where we'd normally use present perfect.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's natural in casual American English.

On the other hand, while I can't say it's entirely wrong, the definite article in your book's title is questionable at best. Or is that your translation of the title? More natural titles would be English Articles in Speech or The English Article in Speech.

If the title is not a translation, it's bad enough to disregard the rest of the book. On the other hand (and sorry for the ad):

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Or is that your translation of the title?

Yes. In the original the Russian noun phrase is in the singular form, and it's absolutely correct like when we say the lion meaning the whole species. But I wasn't sure if that would be correct in English, so I was hesitating between "The English Article.." and "English Articles..." and eventually came to their mix.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. In the original the Russian noun phrase is in the singular form, and it's absolutely correct like when we say the lion meaning the whole species. But I wasn't sure if that would be correct in English, so I was hesitating between "The English Article.." and "English Articles..." and eventually came to their mix.
Ah. The singular would be better. I don't see what the word "situations" adds, but it has to remain plural.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't see what the word "situations" adds, but it has to remain plural.

It adds nothing in English but sounds better in Russian. Why does "The English Articles" sound so wrong to you? Can't it be used meaning all English articles: a/an, the, zero?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd prefer to call the book the article-free English ArticIes in Speech as there's more than one 'species' of article dealt with.

I was assured that this thread was not to do with articles, and now we're discussing the use of the article in the title of a book about articles!

(Nice song, by the way, GS. You certainly can't judge a book by its hair during lockdown.)

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I was assured that this thread was not to do with articles, and now we're discussing the use of the article in the title of a book about articles!

Guilty.:oops:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't worry, I'll blame GoesStation this time.

So what's the given answer for the sentence in the cartoon? the or a? It isn't clear to me.

Edit: Oh, I've just noticed you've used the in the thread title. Okay.

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Don't worry, I'll blame GoesStation this time.

So what's the given answer for the sentence in the cartoon? the or a? It isn't clear to me.

Either of them can be used depending on whether the man is speaking generally or referring to that particular net.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the other hand (and sorry for the ad):
It may not be clear to learners that this song is a satire on American anti-drug propaganda of the seventies. The lyrics contain many topical references that might be unclear to modern American listeners, much less learners, so feel free to ask about them, preferably in a new thread.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have a question for AmE native speakers. Can you think of any additional circumstance that would force you to use the present perfect? For example, the man on the right is angry, "This is a third fisherman that has been caught in our nets recently. Why haven't you take any measures yet?" - "But I've never seen one of those in the net before."

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm still hoping to get replies from AmE native speakers.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a question for AmE native speakers. Can you think of any additional circumstance that would force you to use the present perfect? For example, the man on the right is angry and says, "This is the third fishing boat that has been caught in our nets recently. Why haven't you take any measures yet?" - "Because I've never seen one of those in the net before."
Your tenses in that dialogue are correct in American English. And yes, I can think of countless circumstances in which they can be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Your tenses in that dialogue are correct in American English. And yes, I can think of countless circumstances in which they can be used.

The question is whether you would prefer the present perfect in my example.

Status
Not open for further replies.