Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, can anyone please tell me what the difference between two underlined sentence is?

To
The Chief Engineer,
Telephone Bhawan,
Kolkata - 700091
Sub : New telephone connection

Dear sir,​

I am sorry to state that I applied for a new telephone on 05.02.2016. Though more than two years have passed since the application, I have not received the new connection yet nor have I been informed at what stage my application for the connection is at present. Kindly let me know when I can expect the connection.

I shall be highly obliged if you take immediate steps in this regard./I would be highly obliged If you could take immediate steps in this regard.
Yours faithfully​

My question Is, Are both the underlined sentences correct In the above context? If yes, What is the deference then?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are lots of errors in the post but I'm about to go to work so I don't have time for all of them at the moment. However, I can tell you that both sentences are unnatural (and the second has an errant capital letter in the middle).

I would be very grateful if you would take steps immediately to rectify the situation.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My question is, are both the underlined sentences correct in the above context? If yes, what is the difference [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] between them?

Only the second is grammatical (except that you have wrongly capitalised 'if').

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Only the second is grammatical (except that you have wrongly capitalised 'if').

Hi there, why the first one is ungrammatical? 'I shall be highly obliged if you take immediate steps in this regard.', It is in my grammar book with at the last part of the letter. :cry:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi there. Why is the first one [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] ungrammatical? 'I shall be highly obliged if you take immediate steps in this regard.',
Yes, it is grammatical — I misread it.

They are both correct in the stylised manner of Indian English. Why not follow ems's example and use plain English? It might just catch on over there.:-D

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, it is grammatical — I misread it.

They are both correct in the stylised manner of Indian English. Why not follow ems's example and use plain English? It might just catch on over there.:-D

It does seem the preference there is for more formal, flowery language, using more words than necessary. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The letter's first sentence expresses regret that you applied for a telephone. I don't think that's what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.