I think a subject is missing in the middle of my sentence "...comprehension in Englis

Status
Not open for further replies.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I think a subject is missing in the middle of my sentence "...comprehension in Englis

I think a subject is missing in the middle of my sentence below , but I am not sure how to fix it.

"For my students to communicate and increase their comprehension in English, helping them be aware about English cultural patterns, habits, and ways of life is compatible in my teaching instruction."

Dose that make sense?
Does that sound natural?
Is there a better way to write that sentence?
Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: I think a subject is missing in the middle of my sentence "...comprehension in En

I'm afraid your sentence is so long that it is awkward and almost incomprehensible.

First, a couple of points:
1) "compatible with", not "compatible in"
2) "teaching instruction" is unnatural and I don't know what it means.

I think you might want something like "To help improve my students' English communication and comprehension, I also make them aware of various aspects of English culture".

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure if it means what you want to say. There's also the issue of "English culture" - are you aware that that refers solely to the culture of England (not Wales, Scotland, Ireland, or any other English-speaking nation).

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Re: I think a subject is missing in the middle of my sentence "...comprehension in En

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure if it means what you want to say. There's also the issue of "English culture" - are you aware that that refers solely to the culture of England (not Wales, Scotland, Ireland, or any other English-speaking nation).

Yes, I mean English-speaking nations.
How about change it to English speaking cultures or other better choices?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

So you teach them about various aspects of the cultures of all English-speaking nations. Is that right? (That's a lot of work!)

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

So you teach them about various aspects of the cultures of all English-speaking nations. Is that right? (That's a lot of work!)

Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In that case, I'd change the end of my suggested sentence in post #2 to "... I also make them aware of various aspects of the cultures of all English-speaking countries".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I'm partial to the word Anglophone, but it doesn't get much use here in the forums.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I'm less against the sentence, but I would use teaching/teaching instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.