I try to help my friend to setup his new computer.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I make the sentences by using the word "help" in the following situation. Do you mind correct me and make a comment? thanks.

I try to help my friend to setup his new computer. No matter find a PC list, but also going to local PC stores for purchasing the computer parts for him. Finally, everythings are done. He makes me a free drink and eats at Mcdonald's.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I make wrote the following sentences by to practise using the word "help". in the following situation. Do Would you mind correcting me them? and make a comment?
Thanks. (Don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.

I try to have been helping my friend to setup set up his new computer. No matter find a PC list, but I also going went to local PC stores for purchasing to purchase the computer parts for him. Finally, everythings everything are is done. He makes me a free drink and eats bought me food and a drink at Mcdonald's to thank me.
Please note my corrections and comments above. I don't understand the underlined part at all. Please explain it using different words.
I don't think you were helping your friend "set up" his computer. If you had to go to shops to buy parts, I think you were building a computer for him.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is this a list of computers that you can buy in shops without having to assemble anything?

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Please note my corrections and comments above. I don't understand the underlined part at all. Please explain it using different words.
I don't think you were helping your friend "set up" his computer. If you had to go to shops to buy parts, I think you were building a computer for him.
I just help my friend to build a new computer. And the underlined is meaning a computer parts of list, parts of the materials.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is this a list of computers that you can buy in shops without having to assemble anything?
I don't suggest to buy a new computer from a shop. Because I have created a list of materials which we needed to buy and build a DIY computer which better than the shops provided.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was just helping my friend to build a new computer. And The underlined part is meaning means a computer parts of list, parts of the materials.
Unfortunately, that doesn't make sense either - "a computer parts of list" is ungrammatical. Do you mean "a list of parts for a computer" or "a list of parts that you found on a computer"? "parts of the materials" is ungrammatical and I don't know what it means.
I don't suggest recommend to buy buying a new computer from a shop. Because I have created a list of materials which we needed to buy and build a DIY computer, which would be better than those available in the shops. provided.
Are you saying that you never recommend that anyone buys a computer from a shop? If so, the present simple is correct. If you're talking only about this situation, you need "I didn't recommend ...".

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Unfortunately, that doesn't make sense either - "a computer parts of list" is ungrammatical. Do you mean "a list of parts for a computer" or "a list of parts that you found on a computer"? "parts of the materials" is ungrammatical and I don't know what it means.

Are you saying that you never recommend that anyone buys a computer from a shop? If so, the present simple is correct. If you're talking only about this situation, you need "I didn't recommend ...".

Yes, emsr2d2. I mean a list of parts for a computer.

Yes also, emsr2d2. Buy a list of parts for a computer. Not buy a whole or completed computer from the shops.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, emsr2d2. I mean a list of parts for a computer.

Yes also, emsr2d2. I always recommend that someone buy a list of the separate parts for to build a computer. I do not recommend that they buy a whole or completed computer from the shops a shop.
OK. I think I understand the sequence of events. I'm going to write out what I think happened in simple list form. Please tell me if it's correct. (I have written the list as if I was you.)

1. My friend asked me to help him build a new computer.
2. He didn't want me to just find a list of computers that he could buy from a shop.
3. I wrote a list of the parts he would need.
4. I went to local PC stores and bought the parts.
5. My friend and I built the computer.
6. My friend bought me food and drink from McDonalds to thank me for helping.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
OK. I think I understand the sequence of events. I'm going to write out what I think happened in simple list form. Please tell me if it's correct. (I have written the list as if I was you.)

1. My friend asked me to help him build a new computer.
2. He didn't want me to just find a list of computers that he could buy from a shop.
3. I wrote a list of the parts he would need.
4. I went to local PC stores and bought the parts.
5. My friend and I built the computer.
6. My friend bought me food and drink from McDonalds to thank me for helping.
You understand me with good descriptions. I mean all of them. You are correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You understand have understood me with and you have given a good description s of the situation. I mean all of them. That's exactly what I meant.You are correct.
OK. If you put sentences 1-6 from my last post together to create a short paragraph, you will have a grammatically correct, basic, story.

You seem to use the simple present tense all the time. Have you studied any other tenses?

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
OK. If you put sentences 1-6 from my last post together to create a short paragraph, you will have a grammatically correct, basic, story.

You seem to use the simple present tense all the time. Have you studied any other tenses?
I am trying to studied present perfect tense. My English level is not a stable level. I think a beginner level. Hope you understand what I mean for every threads. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am trying to studied study the present perfect tense. My English level is not at a stable level. I think I am at beginner level. I hope you understand what I mean for every in all my threads. Thanks.
I think you need to master the present tense and the simple past first.