Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I'm a spanish with a C1 level in english, and I've been taking a look at the Cambridge Proficiency exam and came across a weird sentence in the cheat sheet:

"i was impressed at how skilled a negotiator he was"

According to the cheat sheet, that's the only correct answer. But wouldn't it be also correct to say "how skilled of a negotiator he was"? And why is "how skilled a negotiator he was" correct? It just sounds kind of weird to me.

Thanks in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Hyouran.

I'm [delete 'a'] Spanish with a C1 level in English, and I've been taking a look at the Cambridge Proficiency exam and came across a weird sentence in the cheat sheet:

"I was impressed at how skilled a negotiator he was."

According to the cheat sheet, that's the only correct answer. But wouldn't it be also correct to say "how skilled of a negotiator he was"? And why is "how skilled a negotiator he was" correct? It just sounds kind of weird to me.
There's nothing weird about the original sentence. It's just fine.

My corrections to your post should come as no surprise to you—the rules of capitalisation and punctuation are just the same as they are in Spanish.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Off topic, but I believe the names of languages are not capitalized in Spanish. They are capitalized in English, though.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd be reluctant to call your suggestion (with of) incorrect. However, the Cambridge people would not consider it proper, despite the fact that millions of native speakers use it. As a teacher familiar with the Cambridge exams, I recommend using only the form as given on the cheat sheet.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Hyouran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My corrections to your post should come as no surprise to you—the rules of capitalisation and punctuation are just the same as they are in Spanish.

Thanks for the correction! It's true what they say below, though: we don't capitalise nationalities in Spanish, that's why I get confused about it in English.

I'll just stick to the cheat sheet answer for it. Thanks, everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.