English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello!

There were 2 sentences that I just couldn't get the answer!

The bold sentences are the ones that should be passed into the passive voice.

I was very grateful to the fire service for giving me the opportunity.

I THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS: the opportunity was given to me by the fire service.

HOWEVER, the answer sheet says:

To be given the opportunity by the fire service / for being given the opportunity by.../ for having been given...

ANOTHER SENTENCE:

Above all, firefighters need to be calm.It's easy for the situation to overwhelm you.

I THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS: you were overwhelmed by the situation.

HOWEVER, the answer sheet says:

To be overwhelmed by the situation

I really don't know the "mechanics" behind this changing...I know it might be a dumb question but I rather know it than not asking.
Can anyone help?
Thx in advance!
Anyone?Please, help!

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some teachers of English as a foreign language seem to spend an awful lot of time on the subject of converting active-voice sentences into the passive voice. Why they do this is a mystery; the active voice is usually preferable, and there's rarely a good reason to change from active to passive.

Your two sentences are excellent examples of active sentences that aren't good candidates for the passive.

Teca27

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
W spend a lot of awful time on it because students don't seem to grasp it... which makes things harder. What they want is an explanation on how things turned this way, almost a recipe...this is what I'm trying to find out if it's possible.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello!

[STRIKE]There were[/STRIKE] Here are [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] two sentences [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] to which I just [STRIKE]couldn't[/STRIKE] can't/don't get the answer!

The bold sentences are the ones that should be [STRIKE]passed[/STRIKE] changed into the passive voice.

1. I was very grateful to the fire service for giving me the opportunity.

[STRIKE]I THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS:[/STRIKE] I think the passive version should be "I was very grateful that the opportunity was given to me by the fire service."

[STRIKE]HOWEVER[/STRIKE] However, the answer sheet says "To be given the opportunity by the fire service / for being given the opportunity by... /or having been given..."

[STRIKE]ANOTHER SENTENCE:[/STRIKE]

2. Above all, firefighters need to be calm. (space here) It's easy for the situation to overwhelm you.

[STRIKE]I THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS:[/STRIKE] I think the passive version should be "... you were overwhelmed by the situation."

[STRIKE]HOWEVER[/STRIKE] However, the answer sheet says "... to be overwhelmed by the situation."

I really don't know the "mechanics" behind this changing. I know it might be a dumb question but I would rather know [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the answer than not [STRIKE]asking[/STRIKE] ask.
Can anyone help?
[STRIKE]Thx[/STRIKE] Thanks in advance! (Please don't use non-standard abbreviations on the forum.)
Anyone? (space here) Please, help!

Please note my changes above. There is rarely any need to write all in capitals.

With your suggested version of sentence 2, can you tell us what you envisaged the opening part of the passive sentence being, before "you were overwhelmed by the situation"?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
I use passive voice frequently when writing technical reports.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I use passive voice frequently when writing technical reports.
There are lots of cases where it's preferable. Sometimes a passive-voice sentence can even convey a more "active" mood than an active-voice equivalent; for example, compare these:

They perished.
They were murdered.​

Nevertheless, a bias in favor of the active voice will tend to produce more easily-understood documents. Or in other words, when you write in the active voice, readers often understand your documents more easily.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
W spend a lot of awful time on it because students don't seem to grasp it... which makes things harder. What they want is an explanation on how things turned this way, almost a recipe...this is what I'm trying to find out if it's possible.

You want to know how to convert active voice sentences into passive voice sentences? Well, that's not hard (although not always possible). Simply remove the subject. Example:

Active voice: XYZ dumped toxic chemicals into the river.
Passive voice: Toxic chemicals were dumped into the river.

Your sentences will be easier to understand if you make them shorter and simpler.

:)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[A] bias in favor of the active voice will tend to produce more easily-understood documents.
[W]hen you write in the active voice, readers often understand your documents more easily.
OP, I hope you noticed the two ways I expressed the same idea above. Which one is easier to understand?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Active voice: XYZ dumped toxic chemicals into the river.
Passive voice: Toxic chemicals were dumped into the river.

In the example above some information has been lost. To preserve all of the information in the first sentence the passive voice version should read:

Toxic chemicals were dumped into the river by XYZ.

OP do you see why the passive voice is often inferior to the active? Both voices give us the same information about chemicals in the river, but the active voice, "XYZ dumped toxic chemicals into the river" directs the reader's attention more towards the villain, XYZ.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The passive voice is used if there is intent not to identify the doer of an action. I understand it is used in scientific reports as in the carrying out of experiments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The passive voice is used if there is intent not to identify the doer of an action. I understand it is used in scientific reports as in the carrying out of experiments.

Probus
Why did you change "intention" to "intent"?
And why is the definite article not required with "intent" as it is with "intention"(according to Tarheel)?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Tedmc

See rhe private message I sent you. I am sending another one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.