[Grammar] "I wonder where you got the impression that I'm so rich I could afford staying in a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneymarin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
"I wonder where you got the impression that I'm so rich I could afford staying in a

Hello, I'm not sure whether I can omit "that" from the following sentence would be grateful if you could help me with it:

"I wonder where you got the impression that I'm so rich I could afford staying in a hotel for a night."

My first thought was that I could omit, but then a native said otherwise, and now I'm here.

Thank you for your time.

Re: "I wonder where you got the impression that I'm so rich I could afford staying in

Not really, no. In other words, don't.

Re: "I wonder where you got the impression that I'm so rich I could afford staying in

It would work for me without "that". It's better with it but, if omitted, it would be an unspoken "that".

What do you mean with "unspoken that"?

In some sentences, "that" is simply understood by the listener even though it's not uttered by the speaker. It's optional.

Do you think he has any money? (Do you think that he has any money?)
Where did you get the idea I didn't like you? (Where did you get the idea that I didn't like you?)
I know you're wrong. (I know that you're wrong.)
He said I was selfish. (He said that I was selfish.)

Hello, I'm not sure whether I can omit "that" from the following sentence. I would be grateful if you would help me with it:

"I wonder where you got the impression that I'm so rich I could afford staying in a hotel for a night."

My first thought was that I could omit "that", but then a native speaker said otherwise, and now I'm here.

Two things. One, I would say "afford to stay ...." Two, no offense intended, but you could save yourself some time if you left out some stuff.

What do you mean by "unspoken that"?

It isn't there in speech, but it is there grammatically.

Left out some stuff where? In my example sentence?

Two, no offense intended, but you could save yourself some time if you left out some stuff.

Left out some stuff where? In my example sentence?

Tarheel didn't suggest that you have already left out some stuff. He suggested it would be quicker if you did. He means you could make your posts shorter. For example:

[STRIKE]Hello,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

[STRIKE]I'm not sure whether I[/STRIKE] Can I omit "that" from the following sentence? [STRIKE]would be grateful if you could help me with it:[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]My first thought was that I could omit,[/STRIKE] I think I can but [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] a native speaker said otherwise. [STRIKE]and now I'm here.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Thank you for your time.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Even the sentence starting "I think I can" could be omitted but it was interesting to know that you had already talked about this with a native speaker.

Yes, I understood that Tarheel meant that I could make something shorther, but I didn't know whether he was talking about my example sentence or my post. Also, I'm not sure the greeting, proper request for help and my thanking you for your time is unnecessary since I mean all that in every of my post. I don't see why you would want to omit such important parts. About the other stuff, it's pretty much my roundabout way of talking. Does it do anything for the post if I omit it other than save me some seconds?

Yes, I understood that Tarheel meant that I could make something shorther, but I didn't know whether he was talking about my example sentence or my post. Also, I'm not sure the greeting, proper request for help and my thanking you for your time is unnecessary since I mean all that in every of my post. I don't see why you would want to omit such important parts. About the other stuff, it's pretty much my roundabout way of talking. Does it do anything for the post if I omit it other than save me some seconds?

I understand why people want to include greetings and thanks but, honestly, they are completely superfluous. Just give us the question and any relevant quote and leave it at that. It doesn't just save you time. It saves us time too! We read dozens (possibly hundreds) of posts a day and we like them to be short and to the point.

I see. Is that the common sentiment among you? I will do that in the future if that is how you prefer.

I'm not sure the greeting, proper request for help and my thanking you for your time is unnecessary since I mean all that in every of my post. I don't see why you would want to omit such important parts.
There's a very practical reason. In the interest of brevity, I remove extraneous text from messages I quote. It gets tedious to have to remove salutations and thank-yous from message after message.

We really do appreciate the thought. We just prefer that you use the "Thank" link for thanks and omit the other stuff altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back