[Grammar] If I have more seeds than I need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hui Yin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Cambodian
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
Cambodia
I'm almost ready to plan my garden.I have a lot of seed. Maybe I have more than I need.If I have more seeds than I need. I will give some to Jonh.
Is it correct?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: If I have more seeds that I need...

I'm almost ready to plan my garden.[space]I have a lot of seeds. Maybe I have more than I need.[space]If I have more seeds than I need, I will give some to John.
Note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you meant to write plant.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many people plan what they're going to plant before they actually do it, so both are possible.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many people plan what they're going to plant before they actually do it, so both are possible.

Only plant is likely in the given context. Having acquired seeds means you should already have planned your garden, no?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that it's more likely but it is possible that someone would decide what they want to plant, buy the seeds and then plan exactly where to plant each plant!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think the context necessarily prescribes either one. Mostly it would depend upon your approach to gardening, I suppose.

You also almost never plant all the seeds in one season, so you've usually got lots of leftovers. Then you've got to look at which ones are viable long term, and which ones aren't, and see what new ones if any you need to buy - all parts of planning before planting.

Part of my yearly gardening routine is pulling out my stockpiles of seeds, and planning what varieties to plant based on what I've got the most of.

I've also used a method called square foot gardening, which maximizes output while minimizing space, which requires a lot of planning regarding layout, spacing, companion planting, etc.

I used to whip up sketches for the layouts, and create schedules for planting additional harvests, timetables for starting seedlings and transplanting, switching from cool to warm season crops and then back, etc. It got to the point where I no longer enjoyed the planting for all the planning, so I decided to just go back to winging it.

I realized I'd gone to far when I started my gardening by firing up computer programs, so I no longer plan to that extent,but I still generally start with a rough plan before I plant.

I don't really follow it, but my mother still plants religiously by the lunar cycles. She still calls me to remind me that next Wednesday is the right cycle for root crops, or next Saturday is the next sowing cycle, etc. So she literally plans when to plant.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They could both work, but I would go for plant as a non-gardener.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We could stop guessing if the OP would take the trouble to respond.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'Seed' could also be correct in the original, even though that's a more agricultural usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.