Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right about my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

What do you think should be done if the interest of the group flags?

fag = fall, wane

On the whole, what are the main pitfalls that may await a young teacher at school?

on the whole = considering everything

pitfall = snare, trap

It's an uphill climb covered with pitfalls and treachery.

The other half saw unbridled idealism, unaware of the pitfalls and treachery of the political machine.

Your article avoids the usual pitfalls of the law.

pitfall = an unforeseen, unexpected or surprising difficulty; delusion;

pitfalls of law = sunken rocks of the legislation

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Last edited:
Flags - in this instance 'wanes' is better. Fall is too sharp.

Pitfalls for a teacher - not either snare or trap, rather more to do with the act of teaching and controlling the class.

An uphill climb may well be treacherous but no pitfalls or treachery (committed by a person!)

Pitfalls - not of or in the law. Problems, deficiencies, delays, lack of competence are some of the matters you may come across in law but you are on the wrong track entirely with your thoughts on pitfall for this.

Reactions: vil
Hi apex2000,

To the best of my believe I have to have the courage of my convictions expressed in my original post.

pitfall = an unapparent source of trouble or danger; a hidden hazard

pitfall: trap or hidden danger

pitfall = snare, trap (in figurative sense) … ruse, subterfuge, provocation, critical situation, when things come to a pretty pass

Speak about the pitfalls that may await a young inexperienced teacher at the first lessons, (to be tongue-tied, peals of laughter, to impose silence, to undermine discipline, to follow the well-beaten path of, interest flags, crowded curriculum, defective memory for names, traces of fatigue on the part of, formidable exercises, not to feel the time, recess, rowdyism)

Marketing pitfalls are attempts at marketing that have gone bad. What is considered bad is what doesn't work when it comes to increasing revenue through an advertising medium. In other words, sales that didn't result from a specific tactic that was used trying to create a sale. Not all tactics may have failed, but may have underperformed as well.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_marketing_pitfalls#ixzz19WiTW39z

The pitfalls of a universal life policy are: We discovered that your premiums go up after the age of 60, however they don't explain that to you. after awhile your premiums don't cover the cost of insurance and the policy sort of eats itself up as the premiums are too expensive to continue the insurance. We nearly lost my husbands insurance. He has paid over $25,000 in premiums. Now we have to reduce the benefit in order to retain the insurance!!......

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_most_common_pitfalls_of_universal_life_insurance#ixzz19Wj4zL34

V.

Last edited:
You've had my answer, Vil.
Do not believe everything you find in any Wiki, but if you prefer Wiki then why are you asking us?

Hi apex2000,

Please, excuse my urgency. I set on all written in English at random. Naturally you are my last, the highest instance where I refer the marginal cases.

Thank you again for your gratuitous assistance.

V.

Hi apex2000,

Please, excuse my urgency. I set on all written in English at random. Naturally you are my last, the highest instance where I refer the marginal cases.

Thank you again for your gratuitous assistance.

V.
Perhaps it is your urgency that is your undoing:
"To the best of my belief (not believe) I have to.........." from your previous post and then you must explain what you really mean by "I set on all written in English at random." from above. Do you intend to say that you select different pieces of written English at random?

Finally there is absolutely no need for "gratuitous", which could even be misinterpreted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back