Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi.

I have a question regarding the use of the future continuous in the sentence which is the title of the thread. The context is this: It's a SciFi series called Battlestar Galactica.

Adama, the commanding officer of the starship Galactica looks very depressed. His best friend, Colonel Tigh, notices that and says to him: "You can use some time for yourself, I can handle first watch." Adama replies: "I'll be keeping my schedule. This is just another day." This is the day of his wedding anniversary, but his wife died, that's why he's depressed.

The question is: why does he use the future continuous? If he had said "I'll keep my schedule?" would it have a different meaning?

Also, please, correct me if I made any mistakes in writing this thread.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see three possibilities here:
1. It is the writer's poor use of English
2. The actor misread their lines. (I assume that this is from the TV show)
3. The character is deliberately written to use English badly.

Native speakers make mistakes too.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not that he is presently keeping his schedule, but that he will be (in the future) keeping his schedule. I see nothing wrong with it.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi.

I have a question regarding the use of the future continuous in the sentence which is the title of the thread. The context is this: It's a SciFi series called Battlestar Galactica.

Adama, the commanding officer of the starship Galactica looks very depressed. His best friend, Colonel Tigh, notices that and says to him: "You can use some time for yourself, I can handle first watch." Adama replies: "I'll be keeping my schedule. This is just another day." This is the day of his wedding anniversary, but his wife died, that's why he's depressed.

The question is: why does he use the future continuous? If he had said "I'll keep my schedule?" would it have a different meaning?

Also, please, correct me if I made any mistakes in writing this thread.

I don't know why you have put colons after each reporting verb.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It doesn't sound natural to a BrE speaker. I might say "I'll be keeping to my schedule".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I keep to a schedule too.

Status
Not open for further replies.