Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Snoop Dogg's just posted that he's decided to give up smoke.

I'm confused by his choice of words. I'd say give up smoking. Why did he use smoke over smoking? My guesses for why he did that are:

1) Smoke is some kind of informal slang term that, in this context, means cannabis, so he's effectively saying give up cannabis. If he'd said give up smoking, it might be misinterpreted to mean give up tobacco.
2) Smoke in this sentence is a noun, and the sentence is perfectly grammatical.
3) It's just a grammatical mistake. Move along, folks; nothing to see here.
4) None of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Would "Smoke smoke everyday" technically work, then?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Question 2: does it still permit Snoop Dogg to keep doing edibles?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Glizdka Edibles with marijuana in them?
😊

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Smoke smoke every day would not work. By the way, everyday is a valid word but has another meaning: ordinary or humdrum.

Snoop could still do edibles but we have no way of knowing whether he would. Is he giving up weed because he's tired of being stoned or is he doing so for the health of his lungs?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the story I saw about that it mentioned marijuana right from the beginning.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Smoke smoke every day would not work. By the way, everyday is a valid word but has another meaning: ordinary or humdrum.
Oh, I only replaced weed with smoke in the title of Snoop's famous song, in which everyday is written as one word.
Snoop could still do edibles but we have no way of knowing whether he would. Is he giving up weed because he's tired of being stoned or is he doing so for the health of his lungs?
I don't know. So far, he's only said he's giving up smoke and asked people to respect his privacy.

I'm new to calling cannabis smoke. Does it mean cannabis in any form or just smoking it? I'm hypothesizing a "gotcha" moment where Snoop stops smoking weed and does edibles instead.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Oh, I only replaced weed with smoke in the title of Snoop's famous song, in which everyday is written as one word.

Now you know that's wrong in this context.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Glizdka It's highly unlikely that he said he was giving up the marijuana habit when what he really means he is changing the way he puts the drug into his body. Although there is a small possibility of that being the case, it is not likely.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A footnote that I find amusing: Snoop is on record as claiming that only one person has ever smoked him under the table (his phrase). No prize for guessing that person is Willie Nelson.🤣

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I was watching a local TV news at noon, and I heard the anchor announcing the next segment before commercial break about Snoop Dogg's message and "What does he mean by that?" I didn't watch the rest the news, but the question intrigued me.

Now I know. :ROFLMAO:

johnleo123

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Pakistan

It seems like Snoop's decision to quit smoking weed might stem from concerns about his lung health rather than simply growing tired of being stoned. However, whether he'll switch to edibles or quit altogether remains uncertain. Additionally, it's worth noting that while "everyday" refers to something ordinary or routine, "every day" suggests something happening daily. So, "Smoke smoke every day" wouldn't convey the intended meaning here. [ EXTERNAL LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]