Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In order to make sweet fermented rice, I bought an electronic maker which can make sweet fermented rice (and yogurt,etc). Without the maker, it can be done too. But if the temperature is too high, it will kill sweet distiller's yeast; on the contrary, the yeast will go on a 'strike'. Being an ungifted greenhorn, I prefer to use the electronic maker which can keep it at a perfect temperature.

This was the third time I successfully made the rice. The only difference was I replaced glutinous rice, which is more common for it, with ordinary rice this time. Yet, I was still as excited this time as the first time, though I no longer felt nervous anymore because I knew I was going to success again.

I just couldn't wait for such lengthy 38-48 hours for it. Every a few hours, I went to the maker and smelt it hard near the semitransparent cover like a puppy. The time was up this morning. The very first thing I did was to see my rice when I woke up at 5 a.m. The rice and liquid the rice exuded were very sweet. Better than that sold in the supermarket here. Done!

I made it for breakfast adding duck egg soup and soaking dried mullberries into it. I'm intoxicated. Hip, hip, hooray for my homemade sweet fermented rice.

Cheers!

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In order to make sweet fermented rice, I (recently?) bought an electronic maker which can make sweet fermented rice (and yogurt, etc). Without the maker, it can be done too. But if the temperature is too high, it will kill the sweet distiller's yeast. 0n the [STRIKE]contrary,[/STRIKE] other hand, if the temperature is too low, the yeast [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] go on [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] 'strike'. Being a[STRIKE]n[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]ungifted[/STRIKE] greenhorn, I prefer to use the electronic maker which can keep [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the contents/ingredients at a perfect temperature.

[STRIKE]This[/STRIKE] It was the third time I successfully made [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] fermented rice. The only difference was that I replaced glutinous rice, which is more commonly used [STRIKE]for it[/STRIKE], with ordinary rice this time. Yet, I was still as excited this time as the first time, though I no longer felt nervous anymore because I knew I was going to be successful again.

I just couldn't wait [STRIKE]for such lengthy [/STRIKE]38-48 hours for [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the process to finish. Every [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] few hours, I went to the maker and [STRIKE]smelt[/STRIKE] smelled it hard near the semi-transparent cover like a puppy. The time was up this morning. The very first thing I did was to [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] take a look at my rice when I woke up at 5 a.m. The rice and liquid[STRIKE] the rice[/STRIKE] exuded from it were very sweet (how can you tell the taste just by looking at it?), better than that sold in the supermarket here. Done!

I [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] had it for breakfast [STRIKE]adding[/STRIKE] with duck egg soup and [STRIKE]soaking[/STRIKE] dried mulberries [STRIKE]into[/STRIKE] soaked in it. I[STRIKE]'m[/STRIKE] was intoxicated. Hip, hip, hooray[STRIKE] for[/STRIKE] to my homemade sweet fermented rice.

Cheers!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. In order to make sweet fermented rice, I bought an electronic maker which can make sweet fermented rice
2. smelt it hard

1. The repetition of "sweet fermented rice" makes this sentence awkward. Try to reword it.
2. We really don't say that we "smell something hard".

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In order to make sweet fermented rice, I (recently?) bought an electronic maker which can make sweet fermented rice (and yogurt, etc).

1. I bought it half a month ago. The first time I made yogurt. It took 8 hours to make yogurt and 38+ hours to make fermented rice. I needed to check the different functions were normal. If no, I could reject the maker without any cost.

ThisIt was the third time I successfully made the fermented rice. The only difference was that I replaced glutinous rice, which is more commonly usedfor it, with ordinary rice this time. Yet, I was still as excited this time as the first time, though I no longer felt nervous anymore because I knew I was going to be successful again.

2. I had orignally written the sentence correctly--I was going to be successful, but I revised that as 'I was going to success'. Bummer!!!

I meant to write 'succeed'. I think 'successful' is more often used to refer to a person who is successful GENERALLY when it comes social status, fortune they have achieved, but the verb succeed is more specific with doing something. Am I correct about this?

I just couldn't wait for such lengthy 38-48 hours for itthe processto finish. Every a few hours, I went to the maker and smeltsmelled it hard near the semi-transparent cover like a puppy. The time was up this morning. The very first thing I did was to seetake a look at my rice when I woke up at 5 a.m. The rice and liquid the rice exuded from it were very sweet (how can you tell the taste just by looking at it?), better than that sold in the supermarket here. Done!

3. There's a period after the sentence of 'take a look at my rice'. I didn't say I could tell the taste just by looking at it. :)

PS--After clicking 'thank' and 'click', I was busy then, so I didn't respond in time. Sorry!

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. The repetition of "sweet fermented rice" makes this sentence awkward. Try to reword it.

1. In order to make sweet fermented rice, I bought an electronic maker which can make it. Is it okay?
2. Can I say 'smell something deeply' or 'take a deep breath and smell it for several times'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. In order to make sweet fermented rice, I bought an electronic maker which can make it. Is it okay?
2. Can I say 'smell something deeply' or 'take a deep breath and smell it for several times'?

1 is still too wordy. Just say "I [recently] bought an electric fermented rice maker." The name makes it perfectly clear what it does!
2 - Try "Every few hours, I took a deep breath by the machine, savouring the delicious aroma [of the rice].

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

1. Perhaps this would sound better, with a bit of variation made to avoid repetition:

In order to make sweet fermented rice, I bought an electrical appliance that can make sweet fermented rice and yogurt, among other things.

I think it is considered an electrical appliance/machine. The electronic part is only the control panel.

2. smelled it hard

I did think the phrase sounded a bit strange when I edited it. Perhaps "took a deep sniff" might sound better.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

1. I bought it half a month ago. The first time I made yogurt. It took 8 hours to make yogurt and 38+ hours to make fermented rice. I needed to check the different functions were normal. If no, I could reject the maker without any cost.

An indication of when you bought it would be relevant.

2. I had originally written the sentence correctly--I was going to be successful, but I revised that as 'I was going to success'. Bummer!!!

I meant to write 'succeed'. I think 'successful' is more often used to refer to a person who is successful GENERALLY when it comes social status, fortune they have achieved, but the verb succeed is more specific with doing something. Am I correct about this?

Both I was going to succeed and I was going to be successful mean the same thing.
My attempt at making fermented rice will succeed again/be successful again may be better.

3. There's a period after the sentence of 'take a look at my rice'. I didn't say I could tell the taste just by looking at it. :)

You described the liquid which exuded from the rice was sweet. Now I see that you meant the aroma.

PS--After clicking 'thank' and 'click', I was busy then, so I didn't respond in time. Sorry!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't say "half a month ago". Say "two weeks ago" or (BrE) "a fortnight ago".

When I have time later, I'll go through your piece one sentence at a time and give you shorter, more natural versions. I don't have time now though.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I needed to check the different functions were normal. If no, I could reject the maker without any cost.

I was allowed to test the machine to see if it was working. If not, I could return it to the manufacturer and get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.