Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My student Nina told me recently she'd been up to something. She's cashier so part of her job is to go to tax bureau (a tax office perhaps) and follow the steps there to get invoice done and then to issue invoice. Since I'm not an expert in her field. I don't know how to say that. But she wants to speak English every day so she asked me how to express that idea. I then told her maybe she can simply say "I'm learning how to issue invoices" is okay.

Is the italic sentence natural when the context is clear (people know that she's a cashier)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My student Nina told me recently she'd been [STRIKE]up to[/STRIKE] doing something. She's a cashier so part of her job is to go to the tax bureau (a tax office perhaps) and follow the steps there to get an/the invoice done and then to issue an/the invoice. Since I'm not an expert in her field, I don't know how to say that. But she wants to speak English every day so she asked me how to express that idea. I then told her maybe she can simply say "I'm learning how to issue invoices". [STRIKE]is okay.[/STRIKE]

Is the italic sentence natural when the context is clear (people know that she's a cashier)?

Note my corrections above. You really need to work on your use of articles. You omitted four obligatory articles. Your italic sentence is OK as long as the speaker understands what that entails.

Don't say she was "up to something". That has a negative connotation and usually suggests that someone was doing something naughty or even illegal!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm learning/studying how to issue invoices works for me.

tbrown04

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
On the off chance that you are taking care of business as a private individual, you can give a private receipt for it. The worth of the labor and products being given isn't significant. ... Indeed, even a private individual might request a receipt from another private person when going through with monetary exchanges. A [POTENTIAL ADVERTISING REMOVED BY MODERATOR] receipt is intended to be utilized by a restricted risk organization that might want to charge an individual or element for items or administrations given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.