Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=Yahoo Sans, YahooSans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Dear teacher,[/FONT]

[FONT=Yahoo Sans, YahooSans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I read the below article somewhere. In the last sentence, I can not understand why the writer uses the definite article in front of
[/FONT]a place name [FONT=&quot] "Hamptons".

[/FONT]
Can you explain why ?

Thanks/D.H. Jang
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=Yahoo Sans, YahooSans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Donald Trump’s disgraced former campaign manager [/FONT]Paul Manafort[FONT=&quot] has disposed of his Hamptons home for slightly more than its asking price.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manafort and wife Kathleen purchased the land in 1994 for just $400,000.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Over the years, Manafort spent more than $6 million on renovations and improvements on the Hamptons house. For example, a local landscaper testified about how Manafort retained him to care for hundreds of flowers at his house as well as “one of the biggest ponds in the Hamptons.”[/FONT]

Every time I've heard it mentioned it was the Hamptons

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the [STRIKE]below[/STRIKE] following article somewhere.
Please be more specific. Tell us the name of the newspaper or provide a link to the internet article in which you read this snippet.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donghyun Jang, note that I have changed your thread title. "The definite article" is not an appropriate thread title on the forum - it could refer to hundreds, if not thousands, of threads. Titles must be unique, relevant to the thread, and include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

Read about the Hamptons here.

The definite article is omitted when used attributively.

Compare:

We had a lovely holiday in the Caribbean.
We had a lovely Caribbean holiday.

Last edited:
"The Hamptons" refers to, according to Wikipedia, "a group of villages and hamlets in the towns of Southampton and East Hampton."

It really is a plural way to refer to this collection of settlements.

In New Jersey there is a similar collection of beach towns sharing one island that they market as "The Wildwoods," which consists of three towns with "Wildwood" in the name. This branding is less successful, as people tend to refer to going to "Wildwood," which is the name of the largest and most popular destination, even if they're technically staying in North Wildwood or Wildwood Crest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back