"In 1982, there was a coffee shop in the north-west corner, toilets in the south-west corner, a sports store in the north-east corner, and..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I wrote these paragraphs, and I have one question.

"In 1982, there was a coffee shop in the north-west corner, toilets in the south-west corner, a sports store in the north-east corner, and a furniture store in the south-east corner."

"By 2012, although the entrance, entertainment area, elevator, and toilets retained their position and size, the coffee shop had been removed, and the food store had been moved to the south east corner, allowing the relocation of the sports store and electronic store to the front of the entertainment area."

Is it acceptable to use words such as "south-east corner" and "north-west corner" when you are describing the interior of a building?

Someone told me that cardinal directions are not used to describe the inside of buildings. I don't know whether I should write "top left corner" or "left upper corner" instead of "north-west corner".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221028-124641_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221028-124641_Gallery.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 2

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I should write "top left corner" or "left upper corner" instead of "north-west corner".
Those are safer because someone might potentially argue that you don't really know the exact (compass) orientation of the diagram. Also, change "had been removed" to something like "had disappeared". It doesn't sound great to say "had been removed" and "had moved" in such close proximity.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Unlike teechar, I prefer compass points. Things like 'top left' work only if you have the plan in front of you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm pretty sure that in American English we say sporting goods store.

Status
Not open for further replies.