Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I came across this test question: 'Keep the tickets in case I ... them. A:lose B:would lose C: lost D: will lose (with A being the officially correct answer)
Am I right in claiming that something is not right with it logically even if grammaticaly it looks fine? We cannot lose anything once this thing is handed over to somebody else. In other words conforming with the request 'keep the tickets' precludes an event (case) of the other person 'losing them'.
If my suspicions are confirmed, how to convey the originally intended meaning?
Would these sentences be acceptable?
'Keep the tickets SO THAT I don't lose them'
'Keep the tickets TO PREVENT my losing them'

I came across this test question: 'Keep the tickets in case I ... them. A:lose B:would lose C: lost D: will lose (with A being the officially correct answer)
Am I right in claiming that something is not right with it logically even if grammaticaly it looks fine? We cannot lose anything once this thing is handed over to somebody else. In other words conforming with the request 'keep the tickets' precludes an event (case) of the other person 'losing them'.
If my suspicions are confirmed, how to convey the originally intended meaning?
Would these sentences be acceptable?

Good questions/analysis. Probably not uncommon to hear "lose" or "would lose"in that situation even thought the tickets have been transferred, but probably more logical if person "A". were in the process of transferring the tickets to person "B" and "the" would more likely be replaced with "these". But your alternative sentences would be the most logically and grammatically correct if the tickets had been transferred.

Last edited:
I completely agree with how illogical that sentence is!

Totally illogical.

Thank you all for the quick and unanimous reply. The publication in which the discussed sentence appeared is:
FCE USE OF ENTLISH 1 STUTENT'S BOOK, VIRGINIA EVANS , EXPRESS PUBLISHING

Thank you all for the quick and unanimous reply. The publication in which the discussed sentence appeared is:
FCE USE OF ENTLISH 1 STUTENT'S BOOK, VIRGINIA EVANS , EXPRESS PUBLISHING

Are the words I've marked in red really in the title, or were they your typos?

Having noticed myself saying to a friend a moment or two ago, "You keep the keys in case I lose them", I have to revise my view that it's not acceptable. It may appear illogical, but it works.

Are the words I've marked in red really in the title, or were they your typos?

I am sorry, both words were misspelt by myself.

Having noticed myself saying to a friend a moment or two ago, "You keep the keys in case I lose them", I have to revise my view that it's not acceptable. It may appear illogical, but it works.
Yes it's illogical, but language is not always logical. I would bet you any amount of money that that construction is widely used by native speakers.

... and this rather puts paid to my ...CASE (not for the first time in this forum) :oops:

Thank you nonetheless

Bhaisahab is not alone. Having typed my "Totally illogical" answer this morning, I then realised during the day that I have definitely been known to say "You'd better look after the car park ticket in case I lose it" (or similar).

I looked at the question purely in terms of grammar and logic, not usage.

... and this rather puts paid to my ...CASE
However, your two suggestions are fine, clear - and logical. ;-)

Good questions/analysis. Probably not uncommon to hear "lose" or "would lose"in that situation even thought the tickets have been transferred, but probably more logical if person "A". were in the process of transferring the tickets to person "B" and "the" would more likely be replaced with "these". But your alternative sentences would be the most logically and grammatically correct if the tickets had been transferred.

While reviewing your post I noticed that "would lose" is also not uncommon to hear. Please confirm that this is in contravention of the rules of grammar. If it were not, then this particular test question would suddenly be ambiguous (independently of its content being logical or illogical)

While reviewing your post I noticed that "would lose" is also not uncommon to hear. Please confirm that this is in contravention of the rules of grammar. If it were not, then this particular test question would suddenly be ambiguous (independently of its content being logical or illogical)

"Would" can be used in a variety of ways with distinct meanings. In the case of your example, "would" = possibility or uncertainty. I cannot speak to the ambiguity of your test question or the reasoning of its author.

"Would" can be used in a variety of ways with distinct meanings. In the case of your example, "would" = possibility or uncertainty. I cannot speak to the ambiguity of your test question or the reasoning of its author.

But since the 'in case' construction already conveys the possibility or uncertainty, is not the addition of 'would' rather reduntant?

Are really both patterns correct or popularly used?

"Buy some more bread in case Susan comes over in the evening"
and
"Buy some more bread in case Susan would come over in the evening"

But since the 'in case' construction already conveys the possibility or uncertainty, is not the addition of 'would' rather reduntant?

Are really both patterns correct or popularly used?

"Buy some more bread in case Susan comes over in the evening"
and
"Buy some more bread in case Susan would come over in the evening"

I would never say the second.

And if the expression were to be used in simple past tense, what would it look like?

"I gave him the keys in case I lost them"

or

"I took the umbrella in case it rained"

i.e. both parts shifted back in time in parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back