Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I used to be a vegetarian and sometimes vegan but since I felt pain in my foot after losing 20 pounds, I started to eat like I did in the past and the pain went away. But now I'm overweight and I don't want to eat too much meat, so I don't eat meat for my breakfasts and dinner. I usually eat seeds and grain but all of them are in powder, I use the boiling water to make it mushy, since it contains all kinds of nutrients I need, it's healthy, I eat this meal twice a week. I wrote a sentence to express this:

In order to maintain healthy living standard, I eat powdered grains and seeds for dinner from time to time.

I don't think native speakers would phrase I did, please enlighten me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to be a vegetarian, and sometimes vegan I ate plant-based, but since I felt when I got pain in my foot after losing 20 pounds, I started to eat like I did in the past reverted to an omnivorous diet and the pain went away. But However, now I'm overweight. and I don't want to eat too much meat, so I don't eat meat it for my breakfasts breakfast and or dinner. I usually eat powdered seeds and grain. but all of them are in powder, I use the boiling water to make it them mushy. Since it they contains contain all kinds of the nutrients I need no comma here and it's they're healthy, I eat this meal twice a week. I wrote a sentence to express this:

In order to maintain healthy living standard my health, I eat powdered grains and seeds for dinner from time to time.

I don't think native speakers would phrase it the way I did. Please enlighten tell me what you'd say.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much appreciated. Is the following version better?

In order to maintain my health, I eat ground grains and seeds for dinner from time to time.

I still think "powdered grains and seeds" is weird. The powder is made of sesame seeds, brown rice, Chinese dates, yam, lotus seeds, etc. All of these have been ground into powder/ powdered in a small bag.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Ground" is a much better word. I used "powdered" because you did and I assumed that was actually what they're called in Chinese. Also, you said it contains dates. On that basis, it's not just seeds and grains. Is the mixture you buy a common thing in China? Is it similar to the protein powders that some people use as a meal replacement?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Ground" is a much better word. I used "powdered" because you did and I assumed that was actually what they're called in Chinese. Also, you said it contains dates. On that basis, it's not just seeds and grains. Is the mixture you buy a common thing in China? Is it similar to the protein powders that some people use as a meal replacement?
I thought "powdered" was a better word because the small bags of product is in the form of powder and obviously, they were ground into powder. I took a look at the ingredients just now and it contains, yes, dates. It's quite common in China because many people purchase it. It's organic and contains eight different ingredients, it's called "eight treasure powder" in Chinese because it's Chinglish, I suppose. It's quite similar to the protein powders but because it contains dates and other ingredients, it looks more coarse than the normal protein powders. Here's a picture of the powder and some of its ingredients.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you're doing it twice a week, the phrase from time to time isn't good.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my opinion it's unnatural without the indefinite article. Also lifestyle would be more apprpriate than living standard. I'd use "maintain a healthy lifestyle".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use "meal replacement" there. Why is that? Well, it is a meal. It's only a replacement in the sense that it's eaten instead of the usual meals.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my post I not only stated my opinion, but I stated the reason for it. It would have been easy to quote the entire post, but that was not done. I don't know why that happened, but I'll be happy to explain in slightly more depth.

A substitute is something that is used instead of something else or replaces something else. For example, a sugar substitute is used instead of sugar. A substitute teacher replaces the regular teacher.

I guess you could argue that a meal substitute is meal that replaces a different kind of meal. Maybe that's what they mean by that.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think what @Tarheel is saying is that sometimes a response quotes only an excrept of his preceding post and he would prefer that his entire post be quoted.

In the 13 years I've been a member of UE the usual practice has been to quote only the portion the responder wishes to reply to, so I think all of us will just have to live with that long-established practice.