Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Mac Allister had a good game as their holding midfielder against Chelsea, in what was a very brave and attack-minded set-up by Jurgen Klopp.
(Moises Caicedo: Why Chelsea and Liverpool both wanted Brighton midfielder by Danny Murphy)

What's the difference if I say "Mac Allister had a good game as their holding midfielder against Chelsea, in a very brave and attack-minded set-up by Jurgen Klopp"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let me try to explain this simply.

Mac Allister had a good game as their holding midfielder against Chelsea, in what was a very brave and attack-minded set-up

The red part tells the reader that the writer is going to describe the formation.
The blue part describes the formation.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Why is the red part needed to tells the reader that the writer is going to describe the formation?

Why does the writer need to tell readers he’s going to tell the formation instead of just tell it directly to readers?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why is the red part needed to tells the reader that the writer is going to describe the formation?

Why does the writer need to tell readers he’s going to tell the formation instead of just tell it directly to readers?

Don't think about what is 'needed'. Think about how the speaker makes her message understood as effectively as possible.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Don't think about what is 'needed'. Think about how the speaker makes her message understood as effectively as possible.
But I don’t understand the difference in meaning so I can’t understand how the speaker make her message understood effectively by using “in what was”.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Adding the underlined words in in what was a very brave and attack-minded set-up gives more prominence to the remainder of the clause.